Do We buy more Acoustic Guitars Nowadays?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Soupman said:
    It's a long time since I bought an acoustic, but I don't see how anyone could buy one without trying a few out first. As we all know, two identical instruments can sound different.
    That's not to say I'd never buy a guitar untried - deals like that GG Taylor deal mentioned in a recent thread for example; or a well received (by forum members) example like maybe Dowina, Avalon or Larrivee (I'm thinking of @thomasross20 ;; there!) 

Looking at the question from the other end - if there were fewer guitar shops would acoustic sales fall then I think yes.
    We've all been in the situation where we've gone in to a shop to kill time or just look and exited with something we didn't expect to buy.
    In my case it first happened when I went out for a loaf and bought a car. Mind, it was a long time ago and was a Fiat, so the loaf would probably have been the better buy....
     =)

:) 

The thing I love about Larrivee is... I know the brand. The sound. The shape of the neck suits me. QC is generally very good so it's safe enough to buy without trying. And the variety of tonewoods and body shapes on offer gives me enough variety with the safety blanket of knowing it'll probably be a bit better than alright :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 233
    @guitarjack66 said:
    "It would seem us more senior players buy the least and the 18-24 year olds the most."

Could be that younger players think a different guitar may improve their playing; whilst we older ones have realised that it's not the instrument......
    Still doesn't stop us looking of course. ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 743
    It must be true as well that younger players are still on their journey. Younger players may still be discovering what it is they want and like. Older players will have discovered where they want to get to.

Just a theory!

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    DavidR said:
    It must be true as well that younger players are still on their journey. Younger players may still be discovering what it is they want and like. Older players will have discovered where they want to get to.

Just a theory!

plagiarism !! 

;) 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10452
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    Do you believe this is due to the lack of physical shops and ease of returning the guitar online or do you believe Acoustic players are more discerning in their purchases? Ergo buy after trying more than the average electric player?
    You can't really change the sound of an acoustic as easily/extensively as you can an electric, hence the greater importance of play-before-you-buy.

And - massive generalisation ahead - I tend to think of acoustic players as being more discerning and aware of their instrument, compared to a plug-in-and-turn-up-to-11 electric players ;)  Acoustic playing *tends* to be more intricate and "personal" somehow.  More likely to be played solo than an electric (which would be more often found in a band context).

And - most importantly - the damn things are a lot bigger, so a lot harder to hide them around the house.  
    I have one acoustic ... a Gypsy jazz petit bouche ... in the acoustic world for lead lines it goes up to 11  :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• NerineNerine Frets: 2158
    I've been playing guitar for 33 years and never bought an acoustic. Not one. 

I dislike them. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7770
    edited December 2023
    Speaking for the wider market it depends what's happening musically. In memory specifically there was a massive bump after MTVs Unplugged series then smaller bumps after Fleet Foxes and the another bigger one with Ed Sheeran. 

For me personally I was into Michael Hedges as a teen so always been 50/50 since.
  • Nerine said:

I dislike them. 
    Why is that specifically? They are the original pick up and play instruments without the faffing with amps,pedals etc.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 645
    edited December 2023
    Often people mention the "faff" of electric guitars. It takes me about 10 seconds to switch on my amp, pick up a guitar and plug in. It would take me longer to get my acoustic, although that's because it's in a different room 

The pedals/amp are something to mess around with when I'm not in the mood for playing really.

EDIT - Which usually then inspires me to play. 
    edited December 2023
    Nerine said:

I dislike them. 
    then f*ck off back over there to the "Guitar" section.  

no offense   

• Kurtis said:
    Often people mention the "faff" of electric guitars. It takes me about 10 seconds to switch on my amp, pick up a guitar and plug in. It would take me longer to get my acoustic, although that's because it's in a different room 

The pedals/amp are something to mess around with when I'm not in the mood for playing really.

EDIT - Which usually then inspires me to play. 
    You had to buy the amps,leads and so on at some some time and then set them up. You dont even have to do that with acoustics.
  • I don't see the point in playing electric guitar if not in a band or actively recording. It's a small part of a bigger thing. 

Acoustic+ vocals IS the band. 

I say this having played electric near solidly for 20 years. 

Acoustic is also far more difficult in terms of technique, baring yourself, and making things interesting - I am actively watching piano videos on song deconstruction which is way more satisfying than wildly woo on electric. Been there, done that. Memorable songs is where it's at and if you can't do that on an acoustic, exit left, please. 

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • This is not an electric v acoustic question but more in line with a post I wrote within the 'How many electric guitars have you owned?' thread on the Guitar section. Do you believe this is due to the lack of physical shops and ease of returning the guitar online or do you believe Acoustic players are more discerning in their purchases? Ergo buy after trying more than the average electric player?
    As I wrote in the other thread, I believe it is just a symptom of the times – almost mindless consumerism. People perennially unsatisfied with what they already have and buying stuff they didn't even know that they "needed" until they saw it on Instagram or came across an offer whilst idly browsing. I'm not immune from it and have bought all sorts of stuff over the years that I later wished I hadn't.
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 233

^^ 3 sayings defining Christmas:

Peace on earth.

Goodwill to all men.

Batteries not included......

;) 
    Soupman said:

^^ 3 sayings defining Christmas:

Peace on earth.

Goodwill to all men.

Batteries not included......

;) 
    Mrs Berts  is mains anwyay
  • I don't see the point in playing electric guitar if not in a band or actively recording. It's a small part of a bigger thing. 

Acoustic+ vocals IS the band. 

I say this having played electric near solidly for 20 years. 

Acoustic is also far more difficult in terms of technique, baring yourself, and making things interesting - I am actively watching piano videos on song deconstruction which is way more satisfying than wildly woo on electric. Been there, done that. Memorable songs is where it's at and if you can't do that on an acoustic, exit left, please. 

So electrics/players can’t play along to backing tracks , or a looper  , arrange songs  in different styles & from different instruments (electric guitar is perfect for playing the vocal lines ,Sax & keyboard)  & are not valid if not in a band . I’ve seen guys gigging in pubs to their home made backing tracks on mini discs being very entertaining .  Plus social media wether we like it or not is one of the biggest stages  these days and an electric guitar lends itself perfectly to this format . It’s also very good for playing with minimal extraneous noise , I can’t play my acoustic  currently as living with parents and it’s too noisy whereas the electric with headphones is far more conducive to peace . Also regarding technique  Muting an electric with high gain for tapping ,legato is quite a skill, hybrid & chicken picking , sweeping  etc can be exceedingly challenging 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited December 2023
    Yeah fair game, it's just not something I do now (personally) after 20 years of doing all that "high speed stuff." 
    I must have mellowed lol
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 645
    Yeah fair game, it's just not something I do now (personally) after 20 years of doing all that "high speed stuff." 
    I must have mellowed lol
    I've never been into "hi speed stuff" or "widdle" whether electric or acoustic. 
  • I’m not speedy but it’s nice to try . I’ve been looking at Takamine’s and APX ‘s  just recently 
      But Incant play my Harley Benton 45 type as it’s just too loud in the house , bloody barret homes 
      Plus I’m trying to learn my speedy stuff . I do like to play some eagles n 80s rock ballads though 
    but can get away with it on strat