An old odd fender case

What's Hot
PennPenn Frets: 624

My brother bought a late 70s/early 80s fender case a while back. He thought it was for a strat. Anyone recognise it/know what it’s actually for? It doesn’t seem to fit his 68 P Bass… 90s Jazz or his 87 Strat. He’s even sent me photos to prove it doesn’t fit… 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Possibly a Jazzmaster case 
  • PennPenn Frets: 624
    Possibly a Jazzmaster case 
    He thinks it’s something longer as the P-Bass almost fits but I’m not sure. 
  • It could be  a case for an early 80s Fender Bullet. My mate had one back in the day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14482
    edited December 2023
    Just the usual made by SKB jobbie with the embossed logo on the lid.

IMO, the lining shape is not sufficiently offset to properly support the lower bout of a Jazzmaster or Jaguar. 

I am tempted to suggest the Stu Hamm Urge bass model but those were (mostly) non-US production.

That leaves the Precision Bass Plus models from the Nineties. (Skinny headstock, shortened lower body horn.)

ICBM will be along shortly with the correct answer. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72455
    Definitely a bass case - too long for any guitar - and for an offset body looking at the angle on the lower bout recess.

I think it's from one of the fairly short-lived very late 80s to early 90s 'longhorn' USA Standard Jazz Bass - they didn't really have longer horns, it's more that the cutaways were deeper, especially on the treble side, with a longer 22-fret neck. I had one, which had a case (from memory) identical to that.

https://www.fenderfever.com/fender-american-standard-long-horn-jazz-bass-1989

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 621
    Definitely late 70s or early 80s. Clearly a bass case bit what model I couldn't say.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31620
    It could be  a case for an early 80s Fender Bullet. My mate had one back in the day.
    Those only have three latches and are shorter than that one. 
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1847
    Could it be for a floppy sock headed 12 string? 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    I’m leaning towards @ICBM ; being right. 
  • Sesh said:
    As the owner of one of those I'd say the body cutout in the case is wrong.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72455
    Sesh said:
    No - it can only be a USA model made between the late 70s and the 90s.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi there, new guy here.  
    I bought the case from Penn.  
    ICBM almost had it.  
    '98 USA Deluxe Jazz, the one with the Suhr electronics.   
    Yes, it's similar to the longhorn, with an overall reduced body and the treble side horn cut back for the 22 frets.  

They're a bitch to find a case for, and the one it came with reeked of smoke.  
    So I was really pleased with the chance I took, but I was fairly sure it was the one that would fit.  

WillyPete said:
    Hi there, new guy here.  
    I bought the case from Penn.  
    ICBM almost had it.  
    '98 USA Deluxe Jazz, the one with the Suhr electronics.   
    Yes, it's similar to the longhorn, with an overall reduced body and the treble side horn cut back for the 22 frets.  

They're a bitch to find a case for, and the one it came with reeked of smoke.  
    So I was really pleased with the chance I took, but I was fairly sure it was the one that would fit.  
    Wrong Penn I’m afraid. You’re after my brother. I’ve sent him a message to say you’ve commented. Glad you’re pleased with it either way and welcome to the forum. 
  • RobG3294RobG3294 Frets: 464
    ICBM said:
    Sesh said:
    Late 70s to pre Dan Smith had the burgundy interiors and different number of latches.

FWIW I think the Longhorn Bass shout is spot on. Wiz'd
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RobG3294 said:
    ICBM said:
    Sesh said:
    Late 70s to pre Dan Smith had the burgundy interiors and different number of latches.

See my post.  
    AM Deluxe, '98.
  • Here's the fit:  

• RobG3294RobG3294 Frets: 464
    WillyPete said:
    RobG3294 said:
    ICBM said:
    Sesh said:

See my post.  
    AM Deluxe, '98.
    It fits, yes, but we were trying to deduce what it's actually for originally, I thought. That's not the stock case for any of the American Deluxe era Guitars or Basses ('98 onwards) - this is the 80s case (the exterior moulds did change odd times in a minor fashion) up until circa 1991 USA Fenders. The original case for the 98 deluxe Bass is the 'shotgun' style case with embossed logo, no exceptions, in 1998.

It fits, but the original Longhorn is probably where the case came from.

Not trying to be a knob (welcome to TFB btw), but the first paragraph is fact.
  • WillyPeteWillyPete Frets: 1
    RobG3294 said:
    It fits, yes, but we were trying to deduce what it's actually for originally, I thought. That's not the stock case for any of the American Deluxe era Guitars or Basses ('98 onwards) - this is the 80s case (the exterior moulds did change odd times in a minor fashion) up until circa 1991 USA Fenders. The original case for the 98 deluxe Bass is the 'shotgun' style case with embossed logo, no exceptions, in 1998.

It fits, but the original Longhorn is probably where the case came from.

Not trying to be a knob (welcome to TFB btw), but the first paragraph is fact.
    Gotcha.  I think the longhorn body is the same dimension as the deluxe.  
    You're right, I think it's more of the case fitting my bass because my bass matches the longhorn.  
    Suhr's design is primarily the preamp and pickups, with him choosing existing guitar parts that were available at the time.  
    As soon as he left, the shape and other features changed.