Andre Braugher - B99

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27114
edited December 2023 in Tributes
Star of Brooklyn 99 and Homicide, among others. Died "after a brief illness" at 61. I'm a bit heartbroken 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-67700088 
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24396
    Gutted. 
  • A fantastic actor in both B99 and Homicide, one of those you think lifted the performance of everyone acting in the same scene.   Very sad loss.  
  • Gutted. A wonderful human. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3311
    Saddened by this and what a different and refreshing character he was in B99.
    Far too young and he emanated kindness.
    RIP
  • bobaccobobacco Frets: 535
    Ah this fucking sucks. Fine actor and is just started rewatching B99. :(

• monkey42monkey42 Frets: 341
    RIP. He was brilliant in B99 , too young an age to go
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Sad news indeed, I love Brooklyn 99, such a great show and he was brilliant in it. One of the great, memorable characters in a TV show for me. It's such a great show if you just want to watch a bit of fun for a while, amazing cast.

I have to admit that without really thinking about it I always assumed that he was gay, but he was married with 3 sons. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22970
    Homicide: Life on the Street was far and away my favourite TV series back in the mid-'90s.  I bought the whole thing on DVD - which I hardly ever do with TV shows - after Channel 4 messed about and kept moving it around the schedules.  I'm not sure if they even showed the final season.

And Andre Braugher's Frank Pembleton was my favourite character, in fact he's one of my favourite fictional characters ever.

I can't get over how young he was, Pembleton seemed like he was at least in his mid-40s but he'd have been barely into his 30s.

RIP.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I didn't recognise the name but as a family with a corgi called Cheddar it's fair to say The Wearys are familiar with the programme and his excellent role as Captain Holt. 
    Sad news, only 61,wow. RIP. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17639
    tFB Trader
    That came as a real shock.

B99 is one of my all time fav shows and he was brilliant in it.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11824
    H:LOTS was one of my fave cop shows too, and Frank one of my favourite characters.  He was a great actor and by all accounts was a really nice guy as well.  Andre had one of those faces you couldn't help but like; it was warm and open.

What a loss, and way too early.  RIP. 
  • The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4176
    edited December 2023
    Fucking hell. I'm not crying; you're crying.

Seriously though, I was very sad when I read this yesterday, it was a huge shock. In my Facebook memories yesterday, a video I'd previously shared of Captain Holt's best insults. His delivery was perfect, every time. Wonderful man 3
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • B99 was a great show, and would have been good without Braugher. But he was the heart of the show, and elevated from a good comedy to a great show. The man's range was insane - from the default emotionless, logical robot, to the enraged, horny man screaming "BOOOOOOOOONNNNE!" to the Bingpot-exclaiming, enthusiastic participant in the Halloween Heists, and back to the calm, rational mastermind explaining exactly how he's outsmarted Jake yet again.

His work on Homicide was equally stellar, and while I can't really remember any details of that show (only that it was really, really good), he was (along with pretty much everyone else involved) bloody brilliant in it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I vividly remember the scenes where Frank had the stroke in Homicide. That show, with its use of music and its fantastic cast, was incredible at the time. Probably the last show I made a point of watching. Andre was the cream of the cast and I always felt it was a bit unfair that he missed out on a bigger career after not really getting anywhere on the big screen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Has to be one of the greatest comic actors. Was absolutely brilliant.