Dinosaural Cogmeister Experiences?

What's Hot
chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3967
edited December 2023 in FX
Quite interested in one of these now they are easier to get hold of!

Any users on here?

https://cogginsaudio.co.uk/product/cogmeister/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Not exactly but I have built a tubebender clone. It's unusual and quite distinctive somewhere between a harmonic percolator (loose) and a rat (tighter hard clipping) it's great for slightly grungy rhythm playing. 

It is not vaguely TS like or subtle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3869
    edited December 2023
    They're really good. A "gain staging masterpiece" I think TPS said.

It's basically a treble boost into a drive (cross between tonebender and tubescreamer) into a middy boost.

I only got rid of mine because I realised I'm not really a stacker and don't like to (treble) boost my drive.

I also prefer my solo boost at the end of the chain, not attached to my overdrive.

What else do you want to know? @chrisj1602 ;;
  • Lebarque said:

It's basically a treble boost into a drive (cross between tonebender and tubescreamer) into a middy boost.

I only got rid of mine because I realised I'm not really a stacker and don't like to (treble) boost my drive.

I also prefer my solo boost at the end of the chain, not attached to my overdrive.

Thanks. I guess I’m just looking for additional justification to go ahead and buy one! Just watched the TPS video… it does sound great and I like the layout…
  • Yeah I’ve got one. It’s ace. 

Not what I need for my current band (and hence not on the gigging board)  but as a single-box thing to plug into whatever amp I’m using at home it covers a lot of ground. I’m not sure if it’s just me but it feels quite “90’s indie rock” in a good way

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3869
    Lebarque said:

Thanks. I guess I’m just looking for additional justification to go ahead and buy one! Just watched the TPS video… it does sound great and I like the layout…
    In real life, it sounds better than the TPS demo I'd say. If you like slightly fuzzy overdrive sounds and like to stack a treble boost into it, you can't go wrong IMO. I look forward to your NPD review!

I think Thorpy builds these for him (or used to do batches), so you know they're built well. Maybe something's changed if they're now immediately available. Dunno.
  • DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 366
    I’ve had mine for a little over a year now, it’s been a permanent fixture on my pedalboard since I’ve had it. It’s a fantastic pedal, a really well thought out design. 
  • Just to update with some more thoughts from my side. Spent an hour or so yesterday playing with it through my TM Princeton. Mostly with the Push and Drive sides switched on.

Absolutely brilliant and almost Ratty in a way that somehow makes a Strat into a Princeton sound absolutely mahoosive.

The kind of "I'll just play for 10 mins" that turns into 60 very easily :) 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks all. I think I might need to pick one up in the new year!
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3967
    One popped on eBay yesterday so I put in an offer… should have it Friday…
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12901
    Could any of you do me a favour and try the "drive" section of the cogmeister with a bass guitar?

I'm half thinking about building another Tubebender (had one, sold it) to play bass through but I'm not sure if it would sound shit. The cogmeister drive is at the very least based on a Tubebender, apparently... 
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6149
    tFB Trader
    Lebarque said:
    Lebarque said:

In real life, it sounds better than the TPS demo I'd say. If you like slightly fuzzy overdrive sounds and like to stack a treble boost into it, you can't go wrong IMO. I look forward to your NPD review!

I think Thorpy builds these for him (or used to do batches), so you know they're built well. Maybe something's changed if they're now immediately available. Dunno.
    Yeah we are building them for Dan, Nothings changed we just streamlined the production and reduced the waiting list for Dan so that its more manageable, the aim being to get the waiting list to below 2 months. i know its trendy to have a 5 year waiting list but we'd rather you got to enjoy the pedals asap....
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom