SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FS: Squier CV60's Mustang Bass Orange inc Fender gigbag £260SOLD

spev11spev11 Frets: 327
edited January 6 in Basses £
Putting this up for a mate (who's the other side of luddite when it comes to internet and he's half my age)
Squier Classic Vibe 60's competition Mustang bass, short scale, orange with fender gig bag. Will have the correct MXR style knobs (i've not swapped them back quite yet) Its stock as it left the factory other than the strings (i'll include some short scale bass strings but not fit them if that helps). Anybody want the serial number or more pics let me know and i'll take some more (its a pain adding them using the works PC as it is so slow). Its in very good condition ,he's only selling it cos he's a fussy arse and can't play long scale so seems to be working his way through every short scale in the UK trying to find one that sounds like a long scale. I dunno I don't play bass enough to know the difference.
£260 posted to mainland UK, someone help me out before I have to put it on Reverb SOLD

IMG_3655.JPG 308.5K
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14430
    Is there a discounted price for collection in person?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • spev11spev11 Frets: 327
    there would be yes

Reading up on the subject, it appears that a Mustang Bass requires medium scale strings - presumably, to allow for through body stringing. 

spev11 said:
    he's a fussy arse and can't play long scale so seems to be working his way through every short scale in the UK …
    Has he tried an Aria Cardinal yet? It's not the prettiest bass guitar ever made but it would fulfil the brief. (Ask ICBM.)

The usual suspects in short/medium scale are EB3 copies, Squier Jaguar SS, Japanese market import Precision Bass, Höfner 500 "violin", Hondo II S.D. Curlee model, Westone Concord. 
    Modern Ibanez Mikro and Jackson Minion instruments are well worth a look.

spev11 said:
    … trying to find one that sounds like a long scale. I dunno I don't play bass enough to know the difference.
    To me, the most noticeable difference is feel. (Similar to Jaguar versus Jazzmaster.) Some things are easier to reach comfortably on a shorter scale. On the other hand, the string tension makes the strings feel blobulent.*

* That's right, The Mascara Snake, the blobulent strings. (Apologies to Don Van Vliet and The Magic Band for this paraphrasing.)
    sorry, missed thi completely, he tried a mikro, wasn't keen. Anything else he wants to try he has to buy first really (no music shop locally). And he is a proper fussy arse ( he tried a jaguar SS bass and complained that it "felt unergonomic") i've given up trying to reason with him over it and just nod.
    Sounds as if your friend needs a Bass Uke. ;)
    He needs a clout to knock some sense in, some of his reasons baffle me, too much treble, to cranky, the balance is weird. The common factor here is himself  =) . He’s a lovely bloke though so I’m doing what I can to help.
  • surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 133
    spev11 said:
    He needs a clout to knock some sense in, some of his reasons baffle me, too much treble, to cranky, the balance is weird. The common factor here is himself  =) . He’s a lovely bloke though so I’m doing what I can to help.
    I have played bass since the 60s and started on Hofners and went on to P basses in the 70s and never looked back.  I can sort of understand the to'ing and fro'ing to find the "perfect bass" but quite often that simply doesn't exist.  You have to get as close as you can and then adapt.
    I had to go down to 32" scale and then 30" scale due to chronic arthritis, and indeed down to 40-95 strings.  With a short scale you loose body mass and body mass accounts for a lot of the tone you get with a long scale bass.  Also, strings make a huge difference too so stick with the heaviest strings you can 
    I ended up with this: 
    https://www.spectorbass.com/product/bantam-4/
    Absolutely amazing short scale basses and I bought and sold mine for £850 which was nothing given the quality.  Very comfortable to play and with the active electrics you can get virtually whatever sounds you need.  I got pretty close to that P bass thump.  This was actually my first active bass guitar!!