What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• dhankotbdhankotb Frets: 9
    jpfamps said:
    An interesting thread.

Here are my experiences.

[...]
    Hey, it's good seeing you on the site. I've been into the workshop a couple of times.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1883
    You gents,ladies with decades of experience need to go easy on us newbies. We need to start somewhere and tabs help.

PS No idea what has happened to my text. It looks blue!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 686
    My mate can smoke tabs through his ears. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2778
    Hootsmon said:
    I had to learn over 40 songs from a wee cassette....had to source most of them and then study and play back tapes hour after hour and I had two weeks to do it....chords and solos

It was mega stressful I can tell you and worked into the wee small hours whilst working reg job at daytime and was damn near hallucinating at the end
    You are Midge Ure and I claim my £5 ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8735

You will have pressed a strange button. The plain text reads:

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    IMG_0146.jpeg 129.6K
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1883
    Roland said:

You will have pressed a strange button. The plain text reads:

I have no idea how that happened. I doubt I could do it again. 
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    dhankotb said:
    jpfamps said:
    An interesting thread.

Here are my experiences.

[...]
    Hey, it's good seeing you on the site. I've been into the workshop a couple of times.

Hopefully it was rewarding experience.........
    jpfamps said:
    dhankotb said:
    jpfamps said:
    An interesting thread.

Here are my experiences.

[...]

Hopefully it was rewarding experience.........
    Not had any work done.. I bought the Selmer Cab badge/logo from your pal Dan (the one he left with you for me to pick up) about a year ago.
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 851
    Based on the tenet of this thread, I decided to just play random stuff and try to learn it by simply listening to (and watching) track vids.

I started with Kayleigh as my first track because I can play it reasonably well but I then just followed the playlist (see link below) as it was presented on YT.

Apart from the usual frustrations of bum notes and out of sync chords, I had lots of fun, laughing and cussing at myself but learning in a new way. I attempted to have each track sussed before it ended on its first play through.

I can't say that I played any of the tracks well but what I have learned (to my great surprise) is that I was learning quicker after an hour than I was at outset. I was in the zone and actually anticipating much better after a few tracks because my ear and instinct were sharpened and fingers were free/loose.

From this playlist I now have a few new tracks that I wanna take further and learn properly, which in itself is a good thing.

Here's a link to the playlist ... might bring some other folks enjoyment too:

stufisher said:
    Based on the tenet of this thread, I decided to just play random stuff and try to learn it by simply listening to (and watching) track vids.

I started with Kayleigh as my first track because I can play it reasonably well but I then just followed the playlist (see link below) as it was presented on YT.

Apart from the usual frustrations of bum notes and out of sync chords, I had lots of fun, laughing and cussing at myself but learning in a new way. I attempted to have each track sussed before it ended on its first play through.

I can't say that I played any of the tracks well but what I have learned (to my great surprise) is that I was learning quicker after an hour than I was at outset. I was in the zone and actually anticipating much better after a few tracks because my ear and instinct were sharpened and fingers were free/loose.

From this playlist I now have a few new tracks that I wanna take further and learn properly, which in itself is a good thing.

Here's a link to the playlist ... might bring some other folks enjoyment too:

That's very cool to hear, I often find the figuring out process the most fun part of learning a new song. Just fyi, I think the playlist you've shared is private, so for others to view it you'd have to change that in your YouTube settings.
  • Danny1969 said:
    Well if @Danny1969 ; is teaching Mr Brightside to beginners, I think I'd better start rating myself as a beginner again :)

Yeah Brightside wasn't a great example ... that first bit is easy but the bridge parts will tax many an experienced player due to the sheer stretches involved, 

@Grunfeld ;

Shut up and Dance is about the only song in recent-ish times that's got the same kind of dance floor response as Brightside / Sex on fire etc. 
    Makes me wonder what we are all gonna be playing in another 5 years time  ... same songs I suspect. 
    I have to confess I think Mr Brightside is bloody difficult. It’s Grade 8 Rockschool. I think the guy in Killers must have big hands.
  • dazzer22dazzer22 Frets: 44
    edited March 1
    TABS get to where you want to go fast if you want to nail a few songs quick, I think most guitarist will start using there ears at some point  naturally, but to how good you will  get at it is unknown ,  I do use my ears but sometimes i go to the tab  for speed, I do more of mix of using my ears  and tab, So I am in the Camp of instead of "tabs vs ears" both are very good ways together to improve your playing.