Pickup solderless Connections, what are they called and where do I find them?

What's Hot
I have asked about finding these, out something that would do this job elsewhere in the forum and other places on the web.

Most answers to this question on the web seem to fall into either no idea or try a r/c controller place with no hint of what to ask for.

Here goes:
After a lot of research I have found if I search for jst connectors, this is the generic brand name commondeered,a bit like hoover, then I can get a bit closer.
Next was to search for a two letter code like SH ,and number of pins.

There is a term 'pitch of pins that is a bit misleading. It means the distance between the centres of two adjacent pins in the connector. Nothing to do with angles.

Once I got to this stage I was able to find catalogues and search terms to find something to try for two wire pickups. I have bought some and will test with 2 wire pickups when they arrive and also use them for 4 wire on the occasions I want to add in other options until I find a 4 wire alternative.

Here is one such link to start your journey from a better place than I did.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XRBKSY2?ref_=cm_sw_r_mwn_dp_PC12ZPK3TGKNC3NE2Z9R&language=en_US

Note: I visited the RS Glasgow shop on a Saturday morning and they only open Mon to Fri finding the correct item over the phone was pointless. Much like straying at photos of connectors not knowing anything.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MARVlNMARVlN Frets: 108
    JST connectors (also referred to as BEC connectors in R/C circles) as you've found will work - they're the correct 2.5 (or 2.54)mm pitch and the pins mate well enough, although they're actually a touch bulkier than the correct connectors.

However, whilst looking at R/C suppliers you probably would rather have Futaba connectors (if you don't mind 3 pins) which are closer to the original.

I don't know exactly whose specification the originals are, but Amphenol PV Mini Latch connectors are like for like, and are widely available. You do have to buy the housing and pins separately (as is normally the case with electrical connectors).

These are available in 2 or more pins in +1 increments. The main thing to be aware of is the size of wire you're going with and the quality of the crimping for the terminals - the housing is quite tight, so you can't go oversized and the job needs to be pretty neat. If not, the latch won't catch properly and the wire could pull out of the housing.

You get used to it pretty quick though, and a pair of needle-nosed pliers is sufficient to do a good enough job.

RS links:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom