That thing where you realise how time has flown by (a bit of Strictly content)

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28350
I don't watch Strictly come dancing, although I really like the show. It all goes on too long for me, but occasionally I watch the odd dance here and there on YouTube. Anyway, I was watching this amazing young guy and had no clue who he was, so I looked him up - Bobby Brazier. He's the son of Jade Goody! Yeah, I guess you lot probably know already (except for those who say Jade who??). Anyway, he was just 4 when she died of cancer, and he is 20 now. I can't believe that Jade Goody's death was almost 16 years ago??? Her original appearance in Big Brother 21 years ago. It all seems much closer than that. 

Anyway, Bobby - she sure would have been proud of him, what a lovely guy, and an amazing mover! I was hoping he'd win.

Great final dance:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6980
    edited December 2023
    Is it called “offspring of D list celebrity” come dancing” now?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Series 3 of Big Brother was the only one I watched apart from a couple of the celeb ones. Graham Norton would be on after the hilights show and he would make awful jokes about Jade. 
    At the start of Strictly I didn't know who Bobby was and it was a bit of a shock that Jade's son is an adult now. He's obviously doing okay but there's a lot of difficult family stuff in his background that was played out in the tabloids so credit to someone that he didn't grow up to be a wreck. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2823
    mrkb said:
    Id it called “offspring of D list celebrity” come dancing” now?
    He is an actor on Eastenders in his own right.  And won awards.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7401
    "Hello everyone my mum was that talentless dead racist"
    "Awwwwwwwwww poor Jade!"
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6980
    sev112 said:
    mrkb said:
    Id it called “offspring of D list celebrity” come dancing” now?
    He is an actor on Eastenders in his own right.  And won awards.
    Was that the best “offspring of D list celebrity” in eastenders award? ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7173
    Yeah the first couple of weeks of this show I just knew he was the kid off EastEnders. My missus explained to me that he was Jade Goody's son.

Well colour me shocked I said, that's what I said.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8601
    edited December 2023
    Tough crowd. He comes across as a nice lad to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7570
    edited December 2023
    My old Mum likes to watch the show, so I have seen a few of the episodes while I have been visiting her.  I saw one right near the start and my thoughts were that Bobby Brazier was a nice enough young man, but was perhaps a little immature and out of his depth.  Having watched him last night and listenened to him speaking very eloquently and thoughtfully about the show, his partner, and of fellow competitors, I would say that he has matured dramatically or that he was already like that but was like a deer caught in headlights at the start.  I thought his dancing and attitude to all the intense training was tremendous, and it's a pity he's been partly "typecast" by his Mother's legacy.

I watched a programme on the TV last night documenting Billy Connolly's life story.  He spoke of his humble upbringing in Glasgow and of his strong desire to escape the city for "better" things in life, but without ever looking down on his background.  He related how somebody had once remarked about him "coming from nothing", to which he responded that he "WAS something".  I think that's the problem with apparently talentless people who have risen to fame through reality shows or just being socialites with no other particular skills or attributes.  Although we had never heard of them prior to their meteoric rise to fame to the point of overexposure through appearances just about everywhere, none of these people "came from nothing".  They were always "something" and were always "someone".

Most people have some hidden depths and it just takes the right circumstances for those attributes to be noticed enough for them to capture the hearts or minds of a significant number of people.  This doesn't always have to be as dramatic as people like Stacey Soloman or Susan Boyle who, despite having rather awkward personas at the start, had very significant talents.  It can be something as simple as "the public" celebrating the "ordinariness", or kind-heartedness, or depth of character in somebody else while they are in among a bunch of fake plastic people with glinting super-white dental veneers and liposuctioned or botoxed bodies.

Being honest, I've never enjoyed any of the "reality" shows because I think most of them are heavily scripted, while others are deliberately engineered to cause friction between the contestants, and I do think that many people that have been launched into the spotlight from this medium are and always will be pretty talentless, but enough people voted for them to stay in those shows to the end, so maybe they saw something I didn't.

I would have hated trying to judge the final dances last night, because they were all excellent.  The one that really shone for me, and would have had me guessing which one was the pro and which one was the contestant, was Layton Williams. Not only did he come across as a really lovely guy (made all the more evident by how he handled the results), but I thought he was / is a superb dancer.  I've had never heard of him before now.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24588
    He is who HE is, not who or what his mother was.  They are two completely separate things.  The media will do absolutely anything to get more eyes or ears paying attention.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23467
    mrkb said:
    Is it called “offspring of D list celebrity” come dancing” now?
    DefaultM said:
    "Hello everyone my mum was that talentless dead racist"
    "Awwwwwwwwww poor Jade!"
    Wow, have I accidentally strayed into the Daily Mail comments section?

No it can't be, they won't let you write "racist".  You have to put "r a c i s t" or something to get round it.
  • euaneuan Frets: 1586
    Christ this thread has some grim replies. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7173
    I just thought he was EastEnders guy in his own right, and was surprised to.learn he was Jade goody's son. I, in no way condone or support the Daily Mailism or racy comments in this thread.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!