Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What's your favourite auto-wah / envelope filter?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16146
    Snow White
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Neilybob said:
    merlin said:
    I'm a big fan of the yet-to-be-released @ThorpyFX /Coggins masterpiece based on the Meatball. Until that arrives, Meatball is genius beyond all else, although totally impractical. So I'm using a 3leaf audio Wonderlove deluxe. 

Kicks the funk out of most other pedals I've tried. 

I wonder if that’s the pedal on Chris Bucks board that he can’t mention.

https://youtu.be/_8eEak3IzAo?si=ZwYQG7oePrrKo7bj
    I bet it is too 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3898
    What's the difference between an envelope filter and an auto wah?
  • Lebarque said:
    I’ve always thought that they were the same thing tbh  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72573
    Lebarque said:
    Sort of. An envelope filter applies a filter effect that tracks the input signal strength (envelope), whereas an auto-wah really means one where it’s controlled by an oscillator - but it’s also used for an envelope filter by some manufacturers. Or you can have both in the same pedal, eg the Boss AW-2.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WeZ84WeZ84 Frets: 168
    Lebarque said:
    On an auto-wah, the sweep of the filter is controlled by an oscillator - you change the settings of the oscillator with the knobs to adjust the sweep.

An envelope filter reacts to the level of the input signal  - so how hard you hit the strings determines how the filter reacts. The controls will adjust things like how loud the input signal needs to be for the filter to be fully open etc.
  • WeZ84 said:
    Lebarque said:
    On an auto-wah, the sweep of the filter is controlled by an oscillator - you change the settings of the oscillator with the knobs to adjust the sweep.

An envelope filter reacts to the level of the input signal  - so how hard you hit the strings determines how the filter reacts. The controls will adjust things like how loud the input signal needs to be for the filter to be fully open etc.
    Ah I’m definitely in the envelope filter camp then 
  • WeZ84 said:
    Lebarque said:

Ah I’m definitely in the envelope filter camp then 
    Its pretty rare to find a pedal that does autowah but not envelope filter, mind you. 
  • barrettisgoldbarrettisgold Frets: 10
    edited December 2023
    I was comparing a few filters I had a while back (video link below), they are all quite different to set up and have different features but in the recording I dialled them in to sound similar. 

Bear in mind they are all going into the MF-101 which has a drive that remains active even when the effect is bypassed.

I appreciate they might be hard to come by mow as all are discontinued as well as prices getting inflated, but the FX-25B should be able to be picked up quite cheap. I modded this one as it had a bit of a level drop. It now has a bit of a boost which is why it sounds fuller than the others.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72573

I appreciate they might be hard to come by mow as all are discontinued as well as prices getting inflated, but the FX-25B should be able to be picked up quite cheap. I modded this one as it had a bit of a level drop. It now has a bit of a boost which is why it sounds fuller than the others.
    I don’t know why the 3-knob one was designed like that - the level drop is notorious. The 2-knob one doesn’t have it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    I’m liking the Tsakalis Phonkify, not pulled the trigger yet but very close.
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 923
    edited December 2023
    Surprise choice for me is the Earthquaker Night Wire. I bought it as a harmonic trem, but use it as an envelope filter more often than not. And it's purple. And sparkly.
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    edited December 2023
    Maton AF9 
    #thebatesmotelband
  • Currently I use the Strymon Zelzah for my envelope sounds. Absolute brilliant and versatile pedal. I’ll probably be buying Thorpy’s meatball inspired pedal though when it’s released. Depending on available funds of course :) 
  • Subdecay Prometheus DLX and Proteus are worth a look