Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Does anyone else agree?

What's Hot
VoxsupertwinVoxsupertwin Frets: 338
Argghhhhh I can’t take any more technology ….
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    Yep
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28746
    You need an AI to sort it out for you. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ever thought of going acoustic? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    You need an AI to sort it out for you. 
    AI?…..I have enough issues with RI !!!!
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6924
    What sort of FX is this thread about?!?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • I’m really starting to enjoy it ,getting polychrome DSP McRocklin Suite for Xmas 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7408
    01011001 01100101 01110011 00101100 00100000 01001001 00100000 01100110 01110101 01101100 01101100 01111001 00100000 01100001 01100111 01110010 01100101 01100101
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 273
    Is there a postal version of The Fretboard?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity 
    Love this - I’m going to use it
    edited December 2023
    There was a question the other day that sums this up for me.  My amplifier won't boot up.  A Fender Mustang I think. Yes, it's a computer with a processor and a screen that gives you an error message, just like the comical Windows 2000 error messages we used to see on autobank screens.  If something has gone wrong with the electronic parts inside your modelling amp you either replace the affected module at a greater cost than the amplifier, or it is now a speaker cabinet.

What I detest about modern life is integrating technology into things for the sake of it.  Hypothetically why would we really need a can opener that you verbally instruct to open a can and it announces when it's finished?  That's the kind of nonsense which bugs me.  Just because the technology is there it doesn't mean it has to be crammed into everything just for the sake of it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 890
    edited December 2023
    I was once in a band called Ned Ludd and the Luddites. Technology comes in very handy, but I’m not a fan.
       Using tech to make life easier doesn’t mean it makes life better.
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • BillDL said:
    There was a question the other day that sums this up for me.  My amplifier won't boot up.  A Fender Mustang I think. Yes, it's a computer with a processor and a screen that gives you an error message, just like the comical Windows 2000 error messages we used to see on autobank screens.  If something has gone wrong with the electronic parts inside your modelling amp you either replace the affected module at a greater cost than the amplifier, or it is now a speaker cabinet.

What I detest about modern life is integrating technology into things for the sake of it.  Hypothetically why would we really need a can opener that you verbally instruct to open a can and it announces when it's finished?  That's the kind of nonsense which bugs me.  Just because the technology is there it doesn't mean it has to be crammed into everything just for the sake of it.
    Ooh, are we moving on to what we hate about modern life?  Great!!!

Right, here goes…..

OK, just kidding, but I kind of agree. My fridge has WiFi connectivity, FFS! What’s all that about? Apparently it can send you a message if the freezer temperature goes too high. Great.  My f@cking FRIDGE now has the ability to ruin my holiday, a privilege previously reserved for my children. 

But, and this is a big but, the processing capability of these amps is absolutely necessary to get the pallette of sounds they offer, surely?  So it’s not just gratuitous insertion of technology just for the sake of it, like installing Alexa in a toaster. 

Having said that, I’m going to see if I can join Ned Ludd and the Luddites because I’m allergic to non-analogue equipment….
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2023
    Agree fully about the fridge example.  The modelling amp problem wasn't intended to be conflated with my "smart can opener analogy" because, as you rightly pointed out, this is the necessary evil of a modern amp. It was really just a comment about what happens when the required technology goes wrong.

[EDIT - Addendum]  I had to go and turn off the beeping alarm on my new iRoll device (a "Smart" toilet roll holder).  It was sending me a text reminding me for the 2nd time to buy more bog roll, and it did a price comparison of my previously purchased brands to let me know that Asda is doing the Cushelle pack of 9 for 29p less than Tesco.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24662
    Meh.

Purpose is the important factor.

Voice controlled lights have been awesome for frail family members.
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1525
    My singer won't boot up.
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 897
    edited December 2023
    I'm old enough to have used cameras with no electronics whatsoever. You clicked a lens onto the front of it and started shooting.

Nowadays I get messages like "lens failed to initialize"! FFS
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nope.
  • Gadget said:
    I'm old enough to have used cameras with no electronics whatsoever. You clicked a lens onto the front of it and started shooting.
    Nowadays I get messages like "lens failed to initialize"! FFS

If you didn't load a roll of film into it, take a light reading with a separate meter (or successfully guess) and set the exposure, and focus the lens you'd probably have gotten a big old batch of nothin'.
    And don't get me started on remembering to take out the dark slide before making an exposure...
  • My fridge has WiFi connectivity, FFS! What’s all that about? Apparently it can send you a message if the freezer temperature goes too high. Great.  My f@cking FRIDGE now has the ability to ruin my holiday, a privilege previously reserved for my children.

If you're unlucky to have bought an Internet Of Things fridge just don't connect it to your home's WiFi and it'll never bother you.