Kaiser Chiefs

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4983
Got the Employment CD by the Kaiser Chiefs from a Charity Shop recently. I expected to be donating it to another Charity Shop, like so many others that I got from same places, but it is a keeper. Nice, as in sounding like Oasis at their best. I thought from the band name that they were American but are English. CDs in Charity Shops are becoming rarer so it is nice to pick up a good one. 
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• What made you think a band named after a South African football team made you think they were american?

Its a great debut, just a shame they never came close again. 
  • I quite like Kaiser Chiefs, bit of a "guilty pleasure" i suppose as it's not always that "cool" to like them but they are quite fun and fairly light hearted. Employment is still their best album I think, some great catchy indie pop, certainly captured a moment in time but still doesn't seem as dated as other indie groups from the same time.

Named after the team Leeds Utd signed defender Lucas Radebe from if I recall correctly. Also the singer used to work in the same bar as Paloma Faith, think he was her manager or something (as think he's older maybe?). 
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22850
    Also the singer used to work in the same bar as Paloma Faith, think he was her manager or something (as think he's older maybe?). 
    They're about the same age (45 and 42) but bar managers are often young.

Remember that advert they did for Yorkshire Tea?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14263
    tFB Trader
    I quite like Kaiser Chiefs, bit of a "guilty pleasure" i suppose as it's not always that "cool" to like them but they are quite fun and fairly light hearted. Employment is still their best album I think, some great catchy indie pop, certainly captured a moment in time but still doesn't seem as dated as other indie groups from the same time.

Named after the team Leeds Utd signed defender Lucas Radebe from if I recall correctly. Also the singer used to work in the same bar as Paloma Faith, think he was her manager or something (as think he's older maybe?). 
    Correct - Lucas played for the Kaiser Chiefs when he played in South Africa before joining Leeds - Some/all the lads are Leeds fans
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    What made you think a band named after a South African football team made you think they were american?

The name Kaiser Chiefs sounded like the name of an American Football team.  The history of Leed United FC is not on my reading bucket list......

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• If I'm honest I'd be quite happy if I never heard another Kaiser Chiefs song as long as I live. 

But I'm genuinely glad you're enjoying them :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14263
    tFB Trader
    Rocker said:
    What made you think a band named after a South African football team made you think they were american?

The name Kaiser Chiefs sounded like the name of an American Football team.  The history of Leed United FC is not on my reading bucket list......

WHY NOT ???????????????
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I streamed a bunch of stuff on the back of this and their great songs are great, big choruses and quite quirky in places. The rest does seem like filler but then that's true of a lot of bands or many bands when you aren't familiar with the music. I did see singer Ricky Wilson in War of the Worlds, ten years ago but I remember him as okay rather than anything better. 
    I think they'd be fun live, there are some big fat riffs hidden in some of those songs. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Rocker said:

Thats cool. They are one of the most famous soccer teams though, thats why Id (wrongly) assumed youd know. 
  • This amused me :)

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • I saw them live at the MEN arena around the time of Ruby and they were truly excellent. Ricky Wilson had all the frontman moves and carried the crowd as the rest of the band were pretty static. I got backstage passes and my teens kids got their T-shirts and CDs signed and the band were great with them.

I think their first 3-4 albums were really pretty good...quite quirky and some original songs and arrangements. Soon after, their  drummer and main songwriter left the band, although they all remained on good terms, and his creative input was lost and to me they haven't been quite the same since.

I still rate them as a live act though...most enjoyable.
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6491
    edited December 2023
    I don’t mind their song The Angry Mob. It’s not on Employment, mind.

• pigfacepigface Frets: 213
    I've always liked the band. The only time I've seen them live was at the opening ceremony of the 2018 Ryder Cup near Versailles ... golf, not too rock'n'roll, but I guess they were well paid and I enjoyed it. As for the football club after whom they are named, I attended many of their matches in the late 80s and early 90s when I was living in Joburg, one of few light-skinned persons in a sea of darker folk. I was always well received despite the political situation at the time.