Most transparent boost with flat EQ recommendations please?

What's Hot
FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
edited December 2023 in FX
Currently using a blackstar dept 10 boost to hit the front end but still not happy with how it affects the mids. There’s always a mid shift with these sort of pedals. 

I don’t use pedals that much so I’m not up to scratch on these matters. 

Can anyone recommend a boost Pedal that I can hit the front end with but it has a flat EQ and is transparent?

Many thanks 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Origin DCX Boost. Totally flat if you want, but also able to be an incredibly versatile tone shaping tool.

Love mine.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6752
    EQ pedal might be a good option. As a boost, I mean. Or maybe to shave out some of those mids.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24662
    merlin said:
    EQ pedal might be a good option. As a boost, I mean. Or maybe to shave out some of those mids.
    This.

Boss EQ200. 
  • DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 3878
    edited December 2023
    merlin said:
    Yeah either this, or a TC Spark Boost (the full size, not the mini).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6752
    merlin said:
    This.

Boss EQ200. 
    I have an Earthquaker Devices Tone Job.
    Straightforward and brilliant EQ/Boost. Generally a good egg. 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3905
    EQ pedal, as mentioned above. Clean boost pedals will boost all frequencies they're given, so if you want a totally transparent 'louder' sound, you need to dial back those frequencies a bit. Nothing wrong with a Boss GE-7.
  • Thanks for the recommendations, much appreciated :)
  • Keep it simple, GE-7
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28746
    Your hearing changes as the volume level does (for that matter, so does the amps response), so an absolutely flat boost might not sound flat.

So the EQ suggestion is a jolly good one. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1284
    edited December 2023
  • merlin said:
    This.

Boss EQ200. 
    +1 for the EQ200.  The fact it has presets, and you can set it up pre or post makes it such a powerful pedal.  

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72675
    Boss LS-2. Really… it’s a totally transparent boost, among its many other functions. Actually it has two levels of boost if you want, although the slight disadvantage that you can only cycle round off > A > B > off etc, you can’t go B > A or A > off without pressing the switch twice. (You can also set it as just a single boost, if you prefer.)

But you may find the mid shift is not caused by the pedal but by the amp, as it’s driven harder - in which case a graphic EQ might be better, so you can compensate for this.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Sporky said:
    Your hearing changes as the volume level does (for that matter, so does the amps response), so an absolutely flat boost might not sound flat.

So the EQ suggestion is a jolly good one. 
    Amp and ears, I always found flat boosts to be terrible and wanted some kind of eq shift or compression. I'm sure the boosts were just doing their job but between what my amp was doing and how I heard it never seemed right. I think hence the popularity of things like the EP Booster that are basically clean but don't take your face off. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4965
    What's the MXR Micro Amp like?
    I'm sure I have one somewhere, but I can't find it - sneaky little sod!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72675
    prowla said:
    It's got a slight mid boost, despite being claimed to be perfectly flat. I don't think it's entirely clean, either - it seems to add a bit of harmonic distortion. The tantalum caps in the signal path might be the cause of that - they're frowned upon in hi-fi for exactly that reason.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• No one has mentioned the daddy of them all …… the exotic rc booster 
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 897
    Pete Cornish NB-3 or NBM-2:

"Originally designed as an integral part of each Pete Cornish Custom Pedalboard and Rack Systems, the double buffered  NB-3 allows a boost in volume, without any tonal alteration."

I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • ColsCols Frets: 7115
    I’d go with a TC Spark Mini.  No EQ at all, just a straight level boost.

The full size version does this as well, with additional controls for gain, bass and treble as well as a tone selector for clean/fat/mid.  But it doesn’t sound like you need any of these.
  • ICBM said:
    prowla said:
    It's got a slight mid boost, despite being claimed to be perfectly flat. I don't think it's entirely clean, either - it seems to add a bit of harmonic distortion. The tantalum caps in the signal path might be the cause of that - they're frowned upon in hi-fi for exactly that reason.
    Yeah, it definitely add a tiny bit of fatness as you wind it up. Fantastic sounding boost though. Underrated because it's cheap and doesn't come with a daft waiting list. The only thing I've ever found that I like even more is the Alembic Stratoblaster circuit, which is (sonically) very similar 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires