2H Strat 2x volumes question

What's Hot
Chaps
2 Humbucker Strat

If I wanted to wire a 2H Strat through a Tele blade switch but have 2 volumes, would I wire each individual pickup to each individual volume pot then the centre tag of each vol pot to its respective position on the switch?

Or is there another way
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72437
    paulnb57 said:

If I wanted to wire a 2H Strat through a Tele blade switch but have 2 volumes, would I wire each individual pickup to each individual volume pot then the centre tag of each vol pot to its respective position on the switch?
    Yes. Then the 'common' of the switch - which is normally connected to the volume control - directly to the jack.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    ICBM said:
    paulnb57 said:

Yes. Then the 'common' of the switch - which is normally connected to the volume control - directly to the jack.
    Thanks!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

@ICBM ;
    For a master tone would I take the common to the tone pot and then on to the output jack?

paulnb57 said:

For a master tone would I take the common to the tone pot and then on to the output jack?
    Yes. For some reason I assumed you didn’t want a tone control, sorry!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    paulnb57 said:

Yes. For some reason I assumed you didn’t want a tone control, sorry!
    Thanks very much,  no apology necessary, it was my oversight

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14473
    I would be curious to know how long you persist with this control layout on a Stratocaster.

IMO, individual volume pots are essential for blending two Firebird pickups. Killer slide tones are just a slight turn of the bridge volume knob away.

I tend to find the VVT control arrangement annoying on Explorers and Vees. A friend of mine is about to find it annoying on his ESP Eclipse. (Hopefully, it has EMG Solderless™ connectors on the controls and can be revised to MV, MT and an interesting EMG accessory for the third knob.)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4187
    Jimmy Herring has his Strats set to 2 vols one master tone, seems to work for him but then he uses a foot volume pedal 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4929
    edited December 2023
    You also have a choice whether you connect the pickup to the Vol pots wiper and output to an end pin, or vice-versa.
    prowla said:
    You also have a choice whether you connect the pickup to the Vol pots wiper and output to an end pin, or vice-versa.
    The only sensible reason for wiring the pots backwards - pickup to wiper - is if there’s no switch and you want to be able to turn one pickup off completely… ie the Jazz Bass circuit. For everything else, it’s better to wire them the normal way round.

Yes, I know Rickenbacker wire them backwards :). I’ve rewired my 4001 the right way round and now the volume controls are actually useful ;).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom