Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What makes a good guitar teacher??

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Oh :-<
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    @longshins I disagree to an extent. I had a teacher who was trying to get me to learn to play jazz, it might be a more "musically technically" genre, but it had no interest to me at all. If he'd tried to get me playing in a more appropriate way (IE rock) and made things more technical through that then I'd probably have practised more, rather than just go off and noodle through what I want ed to play. 

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• I practice for up to 4 hours on my days off from work - I try to learn the theory behind what I am learning and also how it can be used in a practical sense.

The problem with my guitar teacher is that he is virtuoso so cannot explain how he does what he is doing.

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    erm, if he can't explain it then he's a crap teacher. Don't matter how good a player he is.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Virtuoso's often don't make good teachers.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    longshins said:
    I've been a full time teacher for 15 years now, 200 students a week blah blah blah. As I am relatively anonymous on here I can tell what I think is the truth. People will do anything to get away from practicing. Whinging about guitar teachers is one way, spending time on forums is another, buying expensive fx/amps/guitars is another. There is nothing wrong with this at all, but you are responsible for your progress, nobody else. I learnt guitar in the dark ages by listening to records and working things out by ear, no teacher, no youtube, no online snazzy guitar course. You can do the same.
    So your teaching philosophy is that people don't need teachers?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Georgie said:

I practice for up to 4 hours on my days off from work - I try to learn the theory behind what I am learning and also how it can be used in a practical sense.

The problem with my guitar teacher is that he is virtuoso so cannot explain how he does what he is doing.

Try to find 1-2 hours on the days you do work for practise, rather than 4 hours once a week. Forgive me if you already do this, but I'm reading this as "I do 4 hours practise once or twice a week, and nothing on the other days".

• No I do 4 hours on days off (3 per week) and run through my bands songs every day unplugged if I'm on a late shift!! Ha ha
  • I'll just leave this here for you to think about...

Anthony Wellington "Four Levels of Awareness" for a musician.
    Duration 4:32

• And something else to consider...

Victor Wooten on music as a language
    Duration 5:15