Anyone know of a good P90 shaped single coil?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28350
Still tweaking with my new guitar, and I quite fancy trying single coil on the neck position, but something p90 shaped to keep the vibe. Nothing 'hot' just regular type output.

Anyone tried any good ones?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72868
    A P90.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • Or a T-armond…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9792
    ICBM said:
    A P90.
    ^ This. Possibly with Alnico ii or iii magnets to clean things up a bit.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11667
    tFB Trader
    The P90 is a genuine single coil, albeit a fat coil that sounds pretty full usually.

If you mean something a little more Fender like then that can be easily done but you may need to turn to a custom option
    You could have rod magnets in the bigger flatwork and a coil shape that is taller narrower (leaving the bobbing looking a bit empty)
    Or  you could have something wound with a tap ( @OilCityPickups  may be your man). So you could have a strat/tele type sound and then also a fuller P90 sound available to you . I have had a couple of these for tele types so it can be all tele  sounds and at the flick of a switch full fat P90

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12697
    ICBM said:
    A P90.
    This. 100%.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• JasonJason Frets: 1106
    tFB Trader

I really liked it, I only sold the guitar because I found a refin '68 strat that was too good not to buy

The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6981
    Jason said:

I really liked it, I only sold the guitar because I found a refin '68 strat that was too good not to buy

Im sure it sounds good, but thats a single coil sized p90, not a P90 sized single coil sounding pickup.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14684
    Firebird and mini humbuckers mount through a surround that amounts to little more than a modified P90 cover.

TV Jones makes 'Tron and Dyna-Sonic style pickups in P90 format.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • JasonJason Frets: 1106
    tFB Trader
    mrkb said:
    Jason said:

Im sure it sounds good, but thats a single coil sized p90, not a P90 sized single coil sounding pickup.

ahhh yes - oh well
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13575
    Jason said:
    >

ahhh yes - oh well
    you are Peter Green and ICM ................ etc etc
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Garold86Garold86 Frets: 123
    Try Ryan at Bootstrap - you'll wait a while for them to arrive, but you won't be disappointed, especially at the price...

https://bootstrappickups.com/products/single-p90
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31790
    Gibson P90ST or SR from 2015, or super cheap Entwistle AL90, which has staggered poles you can push through to level up if you ditch the brass baseplate (which makes it sound even more Strat-like)

My Loar, Les Paul and SG all have one or other of these in the neck position. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28350
    ICBM said:
    A P90.
    Ho ho! I guess I asked for that!

The P90 is a genuine single coil, albeit a fat coil that sounds pretty full usually.

If you mean something a little more Fender like then that can be easily done but you may need to turn to a custom option
    You could have rod magnets in the bigger flatwork and a coil shape that is taller narrower (leaving the bobbing looking a bit empty)
    Or  you could have something wound with a tap ( @OilCityPickups  may be your man). So you could have a strat/tele type sound and then also a fuller P90 sound available to you . I have had a couple of these for tele types so it can be all tele  sounds and at the flick of a switch full fat P90
    Yeah, that's what I was getting at thanks!
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31790
    ICBM said:
    A P90.
    You can actually remove one of the magnets in a P90 to focus the string sensing area a fair bit, and it's still a reasonably powerful single coil pickup.

I've never got around to it, but it's free to try!
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10931
    tFB Trader
    p90fool said:
    ICBM said:
    A P90.
    You can actually remove one of the magnets in a P90 to focus the string sensing area a fair bit, and it's still a reasonably powerful single coil pickup.

I've never got around to it, but it's free to try!
    Or indeed you can pop a Gretsch double thickness magnet in and get an even more focused tone ... cover sits a bit higher mind.  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message