Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Any brands you don’t get on with?

What's Hot
NerineNerine Frets: 2234
I’ve had pedals from various manufacturers. 

Same with guitars and amps. 

I find some manufacturers stuff just really seems to work for me, and some doesn’t. 

In this case, JHS Pedals have never really worked for me for various reasons.
(Unicorn V2, Lucky Cat and Bender) 

and conversely, I’ve found more often than not that MXR pedals seem to stay on my board the longest. (Reverb, Classic Fuzz, Carbon Copy, Duke Of Tone, MC401 Boost) 

Anyone else noticed similar? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Strymon. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72933
    Anything with mechanical 3PDT bypass switching. I don’t have any now, and will not ever buy another one.

But in particular Fulltone, who started the whole regressive nonsense. I found the ones I had slightly bland too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Death By Audio - all noisy and average 

• PRS. Nasty looking things.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2385

Nope.

But cars.. I will never buy another VAG car. Lying bastards.
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 537
    Only had one good Wampler - the Black ‘65. Had 4 or 5 others that I really didn’t like. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9811
    edited December 2023
    Boss. Not because of the sounds - I think they make some great-sounding pedals - but because each of the three or four Boss pedals I’ve owned has been let down by jack sockets that won’t grip the jacks properly thus giving intermittent crackling and even occasionally cutting out. I realise, given their ubiquity and popularity, that my experience can’t be typical but it’s enough that I won’t buy another.

Nerine said:

and conversely, I’ve found more often than not that MXR pedals seem to stay on my board the longest. (Reverb, Classic Fuzz, Carbon Copy, Duke Of Tone, MC401 Boost) 

Anyone else noticed similar? 
    The three MXR pedals (Carbon Copy, Phase 90, and a distortion) have all been excellent.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jca74jca74 Frets: 367
    Russel
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Agree on the Death By Audio - thought it would be everything I'd want but didn't last. 

Really didn't gel with Source Audio as a brand. I really wanted to like the Dunlop Way Huge pedals too but the few I tried I struggled to bond with. Objectively excellent as they were. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19291
    Lazy J, my arse hurt for ages & it cost a lot.
    https://lazyjbeef.com/history-of-the-lazy-j-farm
  • EHX for me.
    I've had a couple break on me for one.
    I had a Pulsar and the rate range was far wider than I'd ever use, which led to the usable range for me being too narrow, which led to it being way too sensitive, which led to it being difficult to dial in.
    I didn't really like the Small Stone, I prefer a more subtle phase.
    I had a Little Big Muff that didn't work for me either, it never cut thru.

I do love my XO DMM tho, that's a pedal I'll probably never part with.
  • spev11spev11 Frets: 399
    EHX for me.
    I've had a couple break on me for one.
    I had a Pulsar and the rate range was far wider than I'd ever use, which led to the usable range for me being too narrow, which led to it being way too sensitive, which led to it being difficult to dial in.
    I didn't really like the Small Stone, I prefer a more subtle phase.
    I had a Little Big Muff that didn't work for me either, it never cut thru.

I do love my XO DMM tho, that's a pedal I'll probably never part with.
    I was coming here to say EHX for near enough same reasons, couple of duff Muffs, overall poor build quality and really Mike Matthews grates on me. I get a little frustrated with the whole website experience where Mike says how good the pedal is, well yeah of course. 
     I do have a problem with pedals in general, those that have quirky names that I frankly don't know what they do. It's all well and good calling it The Discombulator but at least call it the Discombobulator Phaser (or whatever). RIght i'm off to play through my beam splitter........ ah bollox
  • topdog91topdog91 Frets: 382
    Bit strange considering that different pedals by the same manufacturer sound somewhat different, there isn't a "manufacturer sound".
    Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4983
    I don’t like Panda and Tech21, because there was an incompatibility between their products and they both said it wasn’t their problem. 
    That said, I have since bought an MP40 pedal. 
  • Keeley and Wampler….
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2234
    Keeley and Wampler….
    Wampler is a weird one for me. I’m not much of a fan even though I think Brian Wampler is a decent dude. Oddly it’s kind of him and the branding that put me off at the same time. 
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2348
    edited December 2023
    JHS. In what I’ve experienced, poorly applied graphics and generic tones for boutique money. 

The absolute opposite - Boss - amazing QC, fantastic tones. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've never really stuck with Boss stuff, though I want to love them. Part of it is the pudgy feelings switches, which I just don't like standing on...

I do still want a CE-2W and DC-2W very much though. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Seymour Duncan pickups, I’ve always found them sterile and bland. In my earlier playing years they were a brand I wrongly thought were brilliant simply because I’d heard of them in guitar mags mentioned by well known players. Cue a bunch of guitars getting moved on for being uninspiring when in hindsight it was the pickups that needed changing. As my knowledge has marginally developed, I’ve realised a different set of pickups would have probably been a significant improvement. I’m yet to pick up a SD equipped guitar and feel otherwise (with the small exception of a set of Jazzmaster antiquities). 
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2234
    Seymour Duncan pickups, I’ve always found them sterile and bland. In my earlier playing years they were a brand I wrongly thought were brilliant simply because I’d heard of them in guitar mags mentioned by well known players. Cue a bunch of guitars getting moved on for being uninspiring when in hindsight it was the pickups that needed changing. As my knowledge has marginally developed, I’ve realised a different set of pickups would have probably been a significant improvement. I’m yet to pick up a SD equipped guitar and feel otherwise (with the small exception of a set of Jazzmaster antiquities). 
    I’ve not once changed the pickups in any guitar I’ve owned. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom