Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Any brands you don’t get on with?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• YorkieYorkie Frets: 1525
    Blackstar. I've tried really hard to love them, but I always seem to have at least one fundamental disagreement with their gear: bright vs warm cleans, brit vs usa on the ISF, rhythm vs lead on their dual pedals... 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've stopped buying Chinese brands, just because I'd rather have less stuff and support democratic economies.  The tone city stuff seems good.  The one nux pedal I had - a compressor - was rubbish. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30952
    Strymon. I detest everything about them- from the sonics to the marketing.

Jam Pedals- some are good, some hugely overrated but the paint jobs are awful.

Blackstar- I have yet to hear one moderately likable other than the IDCore which are good.

Rickenbacker- I'd love to own one, but other than a 4001 bass and 3 REM chords, what on earth would I use it for?

Maton- everyone I have played have been stiffer than a queen's dick at Pride week.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17683
    tFB Trader
    I love Boss MXR and Thorpy

Don't like Behringer or EHX.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72677
    edited December 2023
    I've never really stuck with Boss stuff, though I want to love them. Part of it is the pudgy feelings switches, which I just don't like standing on...
    How strange. Boss footswitches are the absolute best on any pedal, or any foot-operated anything, for me. Large target, smooth effortless action, no annoying click. They're also probably the most reliable on any pedal - by separating the switch from the actuator, using an extremely reliable keyboard-type sliding-contact switch, and preventing it being driven to its stop, they almost eliminate failures.

It really annoys me that Boss seem to be moving away from them - or the less good but acceptable plastic variety on their multi-FX units - and going to the horrible metal plunger type, even if they aren't quite as bad as the mechanical click ones which should have been consigned to the dustbin of history around 1980... and almost were, by the mid 80s. And then some boutique builders who couldn’t be bothered to implement proper buffered switching started going on about “true” bypass...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 370
    Agree, Boss footswitches are the best.

in terms of brands I don’t get on with, I dunno. I’ve owned 2 Thorpy pedals that were completely underwhelming. I’m not sure it’s reasonable to write off all their other stuff based on that limited experience but I won’t be rushing to buy anything else they make.
    Also Jam pedals because they look awful.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3905
    Personally, I love Jam's graphics.
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1485
    spev11 said:
    EHX for me.
    I've had a couple break on me for one.
    I had a Pulsar and the rate range was far wider than I'd ever use, which led to the usable range for me being too narrow, which led to it being way too sensitive, which led to it being difficult to dial in.
    I didn't really like the Small Stone, I prefer a more subtle phase.
    I had a Little Big Muff that didn't work for me either, it never cut thru.

I do love my XO DMM tho, that's a pedal I'll probably never part with.
    I was coming here to say EHX for near enough same reasons, couple of duff Muffs, overall poor build quality and really Mike Matthews grates on me. I get a little frustrated with the whole website experience where Mike says how good the pedal is, well yeah of course. 
     I do have a problem with pedals in general, those that have quirky names that I frankly don't know what they do. It's all well and good calling it The Discombulator but at least call it the Discombobulator Phaser (or whatever). RIght i'm off to play through my beam splitter........ ah bollox
    Same, 

Any time i ever used a Muff, I lost myself in the mix, 

I also for shits and giggles bought a Tube Zipper....what a useless pile of uncontrollable shit.
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 531
    Boss are ace - reliable, innovative and a big target to hit. I understand that EHX can have quality issues but I’ve never really encountered these - any company that produced the DMM is alright by me. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4046
    I've tried several times with Line 6... can't seem to find a sweet spot.
    Boss -- bloody love them.  Gone from feeling they're boring to just really loving them.
  • I like the Boss foot switches of the original style, but really disliked the ones on my DD200, the metal style on a slanted plate. Really found them hard to use on a pedalboard. The only Boss pedal that has stuck for me so far though is the BD2, even that is situation and guitar specific for me.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30952
    Lebarque said:
    You are speaking to a man that fundamentally believes Cornish are chic

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• There's quite a few brands I don't like for *reasons* but I'm trying to think of some that I just straight up consistently don't like the sounds all that much. The only one I can really think of is Mr Black - the idea of all their pedals is really cool, but I've never really found a use for them. I guess it's just not my thing. Also Strymon, I've never found myself wanting one. The complexity is somewhat at odds with my "simple is good" ethos. 

On a more positive note, I have found that I very much "get" Way Huge. Almost everything about them floats my boat.

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5187
    Strymon for me too…and I’ve had 4 or 5 flints. I want to love them, but feel I’m playing in 2D 
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1467
    I'm not too keen on Russell. Jo's a bit hit n miss, but not to the same level of wankery, obvs.  The New Heavies are just meh, TBH.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2256
    I do have two eh pedals but that brand has been more unreliable than anything else I've had.
  • FezFez Frets: 536
    EHX. I am not too enamoured with line 6 either. Love Thorpy and Ibanez pedals, Boss.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    Not really, unless they make nothing I'm interested in, but that's not criteria for "not getting along".
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3905
    Gassage said:
    Lebarque said:
    You are speaking to a man that fundamentally believes Cornish are chic
    Basic silver boxes with Dymo labels on? Tsk.