What stage monitor?

What's Hot
davrosdavros Frets: 1332
edited December 2023 in Live
I'm looking for a new stage monitor for me and wondered what people recommended.

I'm in a 6 piece, typically vocals and keys go through the PA, drums, bass and guitar don't. However, I do mic up my 2x12 cab and put it through my monitor, along with my vocals. I put a some guitar through the PA if the venue is larger than a pub for a bit more spread.

Currently using an old Carlsbro PM12, but I imagine I can get a better sound from something more modern.

Looking for something decent but less than £500. Open to suggestions, but considering:

A 12" PA speaker like the EV ZLX 12P, which is only £360 at the moment:
https://www.andertons.co.uk/live-pa/pa-systems/active-pa-speakers/electro-voice-zlx-12p-active-2-way-1000w-loudspeaker-each

A coaxial 12" wedge like the db Technologies FMX 12:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/db_technologies_fmx_12.htm

Not looking to go down the in-ears route as most of the band wouldn't be audible.

What would you suggest, or what pros/cons should I be aware of?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The EV zlx works reasonably well for the money, good DSP options onboard. 

The Yamaha DXR12 is another good one to consider, definitely in budget if you go 2nd hand and they are very reliable.

IEMs are better for the sake of running a couple more cables and definitely worth doing if you can convince the band.
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • The DB one you mentioned is excellent for the cash. I much prefer a coaxial monitor for guitar. I gigged with 2 of the 8 inch versions in a stereo setup with a modeller for a while and it sounded great. I also ran vocals through them. They were very punchy and clear.
  • I used a DXR10 for ages, and it was good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1332
    Thanks all, I ended up picking up an ElectroVoice PXM-12MP from PMT today, b stock so got a nice discount. Had a dent in the grill and a split in the wood, looks like something was dropped on it, both now fixed with a hammer and some titebond and looks like new.

I compared it with the few monitors they had in stock and some PA speakers that can be tilted. It was the best combo of size and sound, and has a coax speaker so should fire straight at my head.
    Unfortunately in-ears would mean also di-ing the bass and micing up the drums, which is a lot of faff for most of the gigs we play.
  • davros said:
    Unfortunately in-ears would mean also di-ing the bass and micing up the drums, which is a lot of faff for most of the gigs we play.
    Well-placed ambient omni mic onstage - problem solved.
  • davros said:
    It really doesn’t as long as you can get your own mix - I honestly think this is where a lot of people go VERY wrong when it comes to IEMs.

I sing (debatable but that’s what it says on the website) and play guitar and I have mine with just my guitar and vocals in, I then have them barely on and don’t have the ‘phones rammed down my ear canal, just slightly edged out a bit.

This means I can still hear everything else but I get ‘me’ as loud as I need to stay in tune (allegedly).

Worth a go!
  • shufflebeatshufflebeat Frets: 105
    edited December 2023
    Some time ago I was doing a gig involving several bands and everyone brought some PA to the gig. There were Yam DXR12, Dynacord A series and JBL EON (612, I think). We mixed-and-matched to see what was best for what and the JBLs were clear winners for wedge duties. They sounded so sweet as monitors I didn’t even try them for FoH as I knew having decent monitors would avoid a lot of onstage grumpiness, which can be an issue for the individuals involved.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've had Proel Wma12 in my hire stock for years now and have proved to be reliable, tough and nice sounding  https://www.thomann.de/gb/proel_wd12av2.htm?glp=1&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAkKqsBhC3ARIsAEEjuJiLnV9ZIzZrmTsVl5RO_gUCpU6UAqm5wA-UjuqL2k9ERj-_9NUfuacaAlDFEALw_wcB ;
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    Thanks all, I'm all sorted now but thank you for the suggestions!