Recording rehearsals the simple way (what simple mic?)

What's Hot
topdog91topdog91 Frets: 310
edited December 2023 in Studio & Recording
Edit: based on replies so far, I think a mic and soundcard to go with the existing laptop would be fine. We can use any of our mobile phones if we want to add video. So which single mic would you choose for this job?

We rehearse in a pretty grim room in Mill Hill (Bunns Lane). We're keys, guitar, bass, drums, lead singer with three on backing vocals. I think it would be really useful for us to record rehearsals so that we can go back and listen to how we really sound without having to allocate focus to playing.

But I don't want to start miking up drums and amps etc, I'd like to record as simply as possible, so one mic to pick up the room sound. 

Video would be very nice but not a must.

I have a OnePlus Nord whose mic picks up the room in crappy quality. Otherwise I would have put it on a tripod and connected it to a charger. I ain't going Apple.

What hardware do you recommend? I don't mind if it's a dedicated recorder or a mic and soundcard. The latter feels more flexible and I have a laptop I can bring for this.

(I have a stereo lapel mic in my lockup or whatever you call the tiny mics, I think it's condenser because it has a single AA battery compartment on the lead. I could try this if people think it might do the job.)

If you do video, how do you cope with storing hours and hours of footage? Just upload to YouTube as private? Is there a dedicated device e.g. GoPro with a good enough mic? I'd rather not spend too much...

Rehearsals are three hours but actual playing is probably an hour due to lateness, discussions etc.
Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BodBod Frets: 1315
    edited December 2023
    I use an old Zoom handheld recorder.  It's great, but you do have to get the placement right to achieve a good balance.  I then upload to Soundcloud to share with other band members that don't bother their arse to listen. 

I've taken to using my Pixel 7 Pro recently with suprisingly good results.  I use the Recorder app which uploads to the cloud automatically to share.

EDIT : It's a Zoom H4 - basic and old, but pretty good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I also use a Zoom H6, just use the stereo mics then upload to Reaper. You can then look at the graph to very quickly pick out the songs. I sometime also use my Sony action cam alongside the Zoom if we want to capture a particular song
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • I've just uploaded this to give you an idea of what sounds you can get with a handheld Zoom in the corner of the room...
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/258959/your-best-recorded-jam?new=1
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • topdog91topdog91 Frets: 310
    I've just uploaded this to give you an idea of what sounds you can get with a handheld Zoom in the corner of the room...
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/258959/your-best-recorded-jam?new=1
    Nice stuff! Heep / Purple esque with that Hammond sound. That sort of quality is probably good enough. Just out of interest, was the (Rickenbacker?) bass distorted in the room, or is that the effect of the mic struggling to cope with the SPL?
    Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
  • That distorted Ricky sound is the sound coming out of the amp, although he may have been going through a pedal as well. Mics aren't overloaded as I set the record level before we start...cheers.
  • I use a Tascam DR05 for audio and a Zoom Q2n if I need video. I've started using a Superlux E523/D as an external stereo mic and that lifts the results a bit. I put it on a standard mic stand.

I've been experimenting with Fadr and have been able to demix our audio onto separate tracks - it's not perfect but it's very usable to adjust the vocal levels. We've got a Zoom LiveTrak L20 desk so I use that at gigs for proper multitracking.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    The simplest method is a iphone. Try that before spending on anything else.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • I also use a Tascam DR05 for this. Just place it carefully in the room, so gets a balance of the instruments. It's so basic and easy to use there's no faffing about. The results are not something you'd release obviously but you can hear all the elements and get a pretty good idea of what it sounded like in the room. 
    Roland said:
    The simplest method is a iphone. Try that before spending on anything else.
    Thanks but "I ain't going Apple."

mudslide73 said:
    I use a Tascam DR05 for audio and a Zoom Q2n if I need video. I've started using a Superlux E523/D as an external stereo mic and that lifts the results a bit. I put it on a standard mic stand.

I've been experimenting with Fadr and have been able to demix our audio onto separate tracks - it's not perfect but it's very usable to adjust the vocal levels. We've got a Zoom LiveTrak L20 desk so I use that at gigs for proper multitracking.
    Interesting. The thing I'm getting so far is that those who are using the video are generally (not always in the case of iPhones) not relying on the audio hardware in the camera.

And these dedicated audio recorders seem cool but they're one trick ponies. We always have a laptop in rehearsals anyway for notes etc, and I reckon that if I just added a mic and audio interface, they would be useful in other contexts. I can record into Audacity, cut out the chit chat later, then upload to Soundcloud as previously suggested.

So, thanks for the input and I think we can probably turn the thread into "which mic do you use for simple rehearsal room recording"?
  • The Zoom H4/H5/H6 also function as interfaces. So my answer would still be a Zoom H5, that's what I've used and tends to be an accurate enough representation of what it sounds like.
    Plot twist: last night we stuck an SM58 in the middle of the room and it did the job great. Recorded on a laptop with a Focusrite interface, all very easy.
  • I also use a zoom Hseries. Can’t remember which one but works really well considering. Have also used it to record gigs by giving it to the sound person to switch on at their location. 
  • I also use a zoom Hseries. Can’t remember which one but works really well considering. Have also used it to record gigs by giving it to the sound person to switch on at their location. 
    And the benefit of those is they do 4 track, so you can sometimes get the stereo feed from the desk *and* the built in stereo mics. Lot of scope for blending those later.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5382
    As per others, I used to use a Zoom H6 with the x/y mic. Small, neat, not too painful if some arse knocks it over.