Suhr or Suhr-alike?

What's Hot

Comments

• StefB said:
    drippycat said:
    I have a hss Suhr as the OP described, along with a Charvel San Dimas & a Charvel made in Japan DK24.

The San Dimas is a nice guitar with a great neck profile, but the build quality isn't up there with the other 2. I couldn't call a difference in build quality between the mj Charvel and Suhr.

What I do know is that as I type this, the Charvel mj is sitting within hands reach of me, where it usually is. The Suhr is hanging on the wall and someday I will bite the bullet and scuff it up deliberately. That way it won't feel too perfect to play. But that's just me. Each to their own.
    Without wanting to derail the thread, how heavy is your DK24 @drippycat?

I’ve had my eye on them for a while but they all seem on the heavy side for a SuperStrat, even despite the mahogany body. 

RichTone have just listed a 2nd hand example, and it’s 8lb 10oz. Coda have a new one in their sale and it’s a similar weight. 
    8lbs 8oz. The funny thing is that it doesn't feel as heavy as the Suhr, which is a similar weight. Best guess is that it's the Dinky body shape which btw stays on my leg better than the classic strat shape when I'm sitting down.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • armitaanarmitaan Frets: 379
    Had an anderson classic T and a suhr tele which while both faultless I moved them on as nothing really stood out about them, but have had an anderson raven for years that is superb, one of best necks ever played, and picked up a suhr buckeye burl custom on this forum last year that I love , with a thicker neck than was expecting on a super strat type. Build quality is faultless with both makers , would try some different models out as quite a range of different profiles across their ranges 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6153
    Good point on the neck profiles. I have a MIM Player Strat which has a slightly flatter radius than vintage-style Strats. I tend to prefer slightly wider nuts, too. 

(I suppose the cheapskate way to what I want would be getting my Player Strat renecked with a custom neck - tallish SS frets, compound/12in radius, ratio locking Gotoh tuners, 45mm nut, etc.)
  • For what it’s worth, I’ve had expensive guitars that massively disappointed from PRS, Suhr, Anderson, PJE.

Don’t judge on only one try of a brand. I’ve had ‘the same’ guitar be amazing and average. It’s personal and a feel thing. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    I have Suhr and Anderson guitars.
    Anderson are my favourite, they are often more expensive new but can be bought cheaper used.
  • The Mayones Aquila is worth trying  - some stores sell these for £2,500 new (which is about what you would pay for a used Suhr Standard Pro/Plus) and the quality is on par with Suhr IMHO.  They have a top spec and the build is excellent.

I also see some of the Charvel USA DK24's used for between £2,200 to £2,500 and these are really good too (you can probably tell that I'm in the market for a hss super strat too :-) ).  

Might be worth considering one of the older (2000 to 2012) Suhr's without ss frets and then modify to your taste - some of these go for under £2k when they pop up.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Just had a look at the Tom Anderson website & I’m impressed with the amount of choice on there. Tbh I wouldn’t know what specification to choose, it’s a bit overwhelming in a good way!
  • GuitarZeroGuitarZero Frets: 254
    edited December 2023
    I have two Suhr, a Modern Satin which was my first and a Classic S with the Antique finish s/s/s and I love both.  I don't really play any of my other guitars which are  a mix of high end Fender and a few PRS (a mix of USA and SE).  My next purchase will be a Suhr JM.  I love the Fender style guitars in general, and I think Suhr do a much better job than Fender.  The custom shop models are usually pretty good, but most of them are mid to heavy relics which aren't really my thing. My antique S looks new apart from a bit of checking, no dings, no missing paint etc.  I like the feel of nitro more than the thick plastic, and the modern satin also feels great compared with most poly covered bodies.
  • Own a Suhr Antique and previously owned an Anderson drop top. Both HSS.

Both are/were excellent guitars, very high quality, but I preferred the more vintagey feel of the Suhr. The Anderson is a very modern feeling guitar.
  • Just bumping this thread as coda music have a second hand yellow classic vintage in stock 
    https://www.coda-music.com/secondhand/suhr-classic-vintage-yellow-2018-secondhand-20202.html
  • AflfAflf Frets: 24
    edited December 2023
    I've had some HSS and HSH Super-Strats including Suhr, TA, Xotic, PRS, Sadowsky, Knaggs, Tyler, Saito, Schecter, PJE. All differently great looking, playability, sound etc. 
    However, soundwise you should check where your preferences are. Some models have no or a not so convincing split function for the humbucker so your positions 2 and 4 are less quacky, hollow than your regular SSS Strat is (PJE, Xotic, Charvel). Also, the humbuckers sound very different in the above models, some bright, some muddy, some lean, some fat. And some humbuckers are splitted a bit thin sounding (Suhr, many PRSs, PJE).
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 357
    Used old Anderson if you find a deal, or PJE. They don't always work for me - funnily only Tylers and Lukes always work for me, but they are the best built, best value for money modern S types I've played. 

Surhs are also immaculate but they never work for me and I find them too heavy. 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4819
    edited December 2023
    Suhr or Anderson for me, the Suhrs I've had have been superb and the TA I sold Welshboyo was amazing. The PT Sig I have is about perfect, the quality and finishing on both makes is about the best there is, slightly better than core PRS.

Suhr win for me because of the pickups, but it's like picking which of your kids you like best. You wouldn't go wrong with either option. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited December 2023
    If you're lucky enough to find a Rasmus by Suhr, they're good and were Suhr's budget, made in China range but had real Suhr pickups, parts etc and they were great and tremendous value and felt like a Suhr costing more than twice as much
    https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/12062915540349--suhr-rasmus-r-s101-standard-black-metallic-gotoh-510

They were around £899 new but can be found used for anywhere between £650-£1000 but there are not many around and I can only assume people held onto them.
  • stevehsteveh Frets: 231
    I’ve had Suhr, Anderson and Tyler, all iterations of HSS.
    Fit and finish were exemplary on the Suhr and Anderson, but both sounded a little “sterile” to me, especially the Anderson. The Suhr was probably the best made and playing electric I’ve ever had (from around 40).

Ultimately, though, I ended up with a Silver Sky. Prefer the sound, simple as that. I am 100% sure I am going to try Suhr again though. I definitely need to scratch that itch again.
  • woodywoody Frets: 74
    I found Suhr's very over rated. Especially the pro series which I find a very sterile experience.Tylers are much nicer to play but they are extremely expensive as everybody knows..Ive had good results with melancon and charvel GG  but if I had to choose my fave over years its a Tom anderson Droptop every time.The old pre 5 way switch ones with the switcheroo are leagues above anything I've personally ever played,although there are obviously a lot of brands that I haven't tried.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 7
    I'm on a Dann Huff Fb page and today, Andy Wood posted a fabulous DH solo from the Giant track 'Stay' and confirmed he was a big fan. He then went on to say 'You guys are gonna love my next Suhr'. A nod to Dann or some sort of versatile Superstrat????
    We'll have to wait and see
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    edited March 7
    StefB said:
    Seriously, people should look at the Tyler Japan ones but not sure about the Mamywo ones. I can't really tell the difference between those and the US ones other than the latter costing a few grand more!
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4633
    Have you considered Music Man, A Sabre or a Luke?