When is the last time you saw a busker without a PA/amplifier?

What's Hot
LeisceoirLeisceoir Frets: 150
Was thinking about this the other day- buskers used always be acoustic back in the 90s, now they always have some sort of amplifier. I think the last time I heard someone actually play acoustic was in Exeter in 2002. It was a hot day, the street was crowded, I was walking behind two New Age Travellers. One had an acoustic guitar strapped on, the other fella a bouzouki. One guy turns to the other and says "here looks good" and they just stopped walking and started playing. You'll probably never see something as spontaneous as that again what with PA systems, generators, mics, council permits etc. that seem to be the standard busking setup these days. Their music was pretty good too. 
My trading feedback thread
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Leisceoir said:
    Was thinking about this the other day- buskers used always be acoustic back in the 90s, now they always have some sort of amplifier. I think the last time I heard someone actually play acoustic was in Exeter in 2002.
    Well as someone who busked nylon strung guitar over many years, including Exeter (pre and post new shopping centre/permits), I have to say it all comes down to actually being heard. In a busy High Street like Exeter you'd be lucky for someone to hear an acoustic played fingerstyle from three metres away, let alone across the street.

I quickly went from tiny Peavey portable amp  to portable PA. The simple fact is the better quality sound at reasonable volume, the more money in my case and the more CDs I sold (also the more private bookings I took).  For travellers/people just hanging out that may not be important, for a working musician it is.
  • In answer to your question, yesterday, in Monmouth, he was a saxophonist though and I put a quid in his Santa hat
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18773
    You could even have a busker without a clue...

Boris Johnson sings Bob Marley - YouTube
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Edm123Edm123 Frets: 64
    Well as someone who busked nylon strung guitar over many years, including Exeter 
    Hi @JonnyBgoode , I was at university in Exeter from 2001 to 2004 and there was a wonderful guitarist who used to play ragtime on Sidwell (I think) Street. He played a tatty fender acoustic had a tiny little amp that reinforced the sound very slightly and he came in from Tiverton to play. He was a lovely man and taught me a few things about Blind Arthur Blake's technique. He wore taped on homemade fingerpicks. He must have been 70 even then so probably passed away by now and I can't remember his name as I type this but did you ever encounter him? 

Thank you Mr Tiverton Ragtime guy, wherever you are. You really inspired a young guitar player. I'm going to go and play a rag right now for you sir!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I busked in Exeter with an acoustic in 1996.  A mate and I made £4.80. We managed to get 2 pints with that.  Good Times.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 11th August 2022

I'd booked a table for lunch in one of the best (?) restaurants in San Remo, and it was on a pedestrianised, block-paved street. 

A top-notch, classical guitarist set up opposite our table (10 yds away) and we enjoyed a 2hr, silver service, exquisite food and entertainment moment on the back of a multi-bereavemet year ... a life-moment that me'n Mrs F will never forget.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Today, I saw a man singing The Final Countdown through a traffic cone.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Edm123 said:
    Well as someone who busked nylon strung guitar over many years, including Exeter 
    Hi @JonnyBgoode , I was at university in Exeter from 2001 to 2004 and there was a wonderful guitarist who used to play ragtime on Sidwell (I think) Street. He played a tatty fender acoustic had a tiny little amp that reinforced the sound very slightly and he came in from Tiverton to play. He was a lovely man and taught me a few things about Blind Arthur Blake's technique. He wore taped on homemade fingerpicks. He must have been 70 even then so probably passed away by now and I can't remember his name as I type this but did you ever encounter him? 
    No I'm afraid I didn't, sounds like a real character.