Overlooked, underestimated or forgotten

What's Hot
stufisherstufisher Frets: 845
Over the last few weeks I've been watching The Champions on ITV4 c.8am every day, before taking my dog for a walk.

In addition to the nostalgia and fond memories from my youth (especially La Bastedo :love:), I recalled that Tony Hatch scribed the theme tune ... that world famous and unforgettable theme tune. 

I then remembered the Crossroads Neighbours themes too and it suddenly dawned on me how gifted Tony Hatch actually was so delved into his achievements:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Hatch

I think that's an impressive CV.

Who else do you think is o
verlooked, underestimated or often forgotten about?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    Annette Peacock.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I remember him on New Faces with Mickey Most I think as Judges
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7229
    Tony Hatch and Jackie Trent made quite a formiddable duo and they wrote an incredible number of tunes together.  They were to TV show theme music what Cook & Greenaway were to singer/songwriting in the 60s and 70s, what Chinn & Chapman (not Chappers) were to cheesy catchy top 10 pop songs in the 70s and 80s, and what Stock, Aitken & Waterman were to cheesy top 10 pop songwriting and production in the 80s and 90s.

The only reason I ever knew this was because I played guitar in the "orchestra" for an amateur theatrical performance of "A Rock Nativity" many years ago and discovered Hatch and Trent had also written Neighbours.  Video of a 1980 performance of the musical HERE in full.
  • I was always impressed by Barry Gray and the music he composed for Gerry Anderson’s productions such as Thunderbirds,Space 1999 ,UFO et.c. Absolutely ahead of his time in integrating various early synths and sound fx machines such as the swarmatron with some nifty brass arrangements. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11297
    The theme music for Joe90 is one of the best telly theme tunes ever. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2951
    Ronnie Hazelhurst.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14429
    stufisher said:
    Who else do you think is overlooked, underestimated or often forgotten about?
    At the piano, Colin Sell.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Laurie Johnson.
  • Great shout @Kilgore ... The Professionals, The Avengers, Animal Magic ... Bond movies ... SpongeBob Squarepants ... that's an amazing range right there :+1: 
  • Keith Mansfield is another name from the 60s and 70s TV music world that more people should know. Grandstand is his best known, but he has a massive catalogue of stuff that's been sampled by all sorts of hip hop and electronic music producers.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• blobb said:
    Ronnie Hazelhurst.

My favourite random Ronnie Hazelhurst fact is that the theme tune to Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em spells out the title of the show in Morse code.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11297
    blobb said:
    Ronnie Hazelhurst.

My favourite random Ronnie Hazelhurst fact is that the theme tune to Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em spells out the title of the show in Morse code.
    I never knew that. That's bordering on genius. 
  • Wow! awarded to @english_bob for that factoid ... it's a belter :+1: 
  • blobb said:
    Ronnie Hazelhurst.

A device also used in the theme tune for Morse (and probably unrelated to both YYZ by Rush). 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Keith Mansfield is another name from the 60s and 70s TV music world that more people should know. Grandstand is his best known, but he has a massive catalogue of stuff that's been sampled by all sorts of hip hop and electronic music producers.
    He composed library music for KPM, so his work is largely free of royalties. His Teenage Carnival became the theme for Southern Television's The Freewheelers.

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited December 2023
    I was watching the Shadows on TV recently. They're all great, but I was particularly struck by how good Brian Bennett is on drums.  Great groove, time, feel and decent chops.

I mentioned it to a drummer mate who agreed. He also told me that Brian Bennett has composed loads of music for TV, which I wasn't aware of.

It's not a competition.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983

Alain Johannes —> http://www.alainjohannes.com/

He was mentioned on here years ago when talking about Chris Cornell’s ‘Euphoria Morning’ solo album, but has many credits including being an engineer at Cherokee Studios, Steakhouse Studios & Sound City Studios.

https://youtu.be/XaxI41Oqdfw?feature=shared
  • Jools Holland  :3 :3 :3

previously 'retsacotarts' on music radar forum
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615
    I was always impressed by Barry Gray and the music he composed for Gerry Anderson’s productions such as Thunderbirds,Space 1999 ,UFO et.c. Absolutely ahead of his time in integrating various early synths and sound fx machines such as the swarmatron with some nifty brass arrangements. 
    Totally agree. Brilliant. I have the orchestral Dvd for Xmas of the Birmingham 2021 Anderson music concert. Brilliant how all the orchestra members are dressed as Anderson characters
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    People here probably don't know Louis Tillett, who died this year.

He was a brilliant Australian singer, songwriter and pianist.
    The Wet Taxis, Paris Green and The Aspersion Caste were some of the groups he played in.
    Huge back catalogue, one of my faves is this from 1987.