Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Which basic distortion pedal?

What's Hot
TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3215
edited December 2023 in FX
Inspired by the ‘what’s better than a rat?’ thread and the realisation that I have only ever owned overdrive and fuzz pedals, but not a ‘proper’ distortion pedal, I’ve found a new rabbit hole.

Currently on the board are an Abbott silicon fuzz, a Frederic effects Demon Fuzz, Boss OD3 and Fulltone fulldrive 3. So I don’t NEED anything, but you know it’s Christmas and I’m off work…stuff’s gonna happen (I was off ill the other week and ended up with a Taylor AD27e, I should never be allowed ‘free’ time). 

I’ve set the limitations of under £100 and come from guitarguitar (as I’ve a £25 voucher to knock a few quid off). I’ve mainly been looking at the Boss DS1, Rat, or MXR 104. It’ll be going into an AC30 and Orange Tremlord if there are any tonal combinations best avoided. So what are your opinions? What am I missing? Throw them at me fretboard. 1 
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17620
    tFB Trader
    SD-1 is an overdrive and great but not a distortion.

My Favourites are the Boss DS-2 and the MXR Super Badass, but the Rat is also a classic (I'd advise one of the many variants with a choice of clipping diodes)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SD-1 is an overdrive and great but not a distortion.

My Favourites are the Boss DS-2 and the MXR Super Badass, but the Rat is also a classic (I'd advise one of the many variants with a choice of clipping diodes)
    You are right, I meant DS1…still sleep deprived (thanks kids). :) Will go back and edit my post. 

Which of those would you say was your standout?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

You are right, I meant DS1…still sleep deprived (thanks kids). :) Will go back and edit my post. 

The DS-2 is a brilliant classic distortion and it's turbo mode also adds a mid pushed fuzz layer (Dani California or Butler era Suede)
    The DS-1 is great but thinner and much harder to dial in.

The Super Badass has a massive usable gain range and very powerful EQ. It also can do more "amp in a box" sounds than most distortions if required.
  • SD-1 is an overdrive and great but not a distortion.

The DS-2 is a brilliant classic distortion and it's turbo mode also adds a mid pushed fuzz layer (Dani California or Butler era Suede)

The Super Badass has a massive usable gain range and very powerful EQ. It also can do more "amp in a box" sounds than most distortions if required.
    Butler era Suede is a big influence, so that’s a great recommendation as it’s the right ballpark for me. Cheers. 

I’ll have a listen to some Super Badass demos too.
    tFB Trader

Butler era Suede is a big influence, so that’s a great recommendation as it’s the right ballpark for me. Cheers. 

I’ll have a listen to some Super Badass demos too.

If you search YT there are some demos of him showing the sound.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1413
    Early 90s = DS-2
    80s (and then mid 90s) = RAT
    Dunno about the MXR

Fender amps = DS-1
    Vox = RAT
    Dunno about the MXR

I thik I may see an MXR in my future.

Given your two amps, I would probably try a RAT first. With your budget, you could get a used RAT and a Boss. They don't sound similiar to me.

Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Rat!

(I've not tries any of the others mentioned though, other than a DS-1 I didn't like)
  • LittlejonnyLittlejonny Frets: 134
    edited December 2023
    Don’t discount the Fender Full Moon if you want something restrained. But of course, there’s always…RAT
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28268
    MetalZone. Don't turn the dirt up too far, and make proper use of the EQ. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4136
    edited December 2023
    Joyo Chopper-X

A copy of the Horizon Apex-Preamp/MXR EVH 5150 Overdrive.

Can often be had for around £45 and sounds fantastic. It even has a gate. 

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    I’m enjoying my Joyo Uzi. Cheap as chips, and great amp distortion sounds. 
  • Get a Rat or a DS-1. That way you can join in the hundreds of Internet arguments about which one is better.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    edited December 2023

Pretty much exactly on budget would be the DOD Gunslinger which they are making again now. Fat yet spikey 70s valve distortion sounds (if that makes any sense), not compressed 80s metal anyway. 

I've had the MXR Super Badass 78 on my wanted list for a while, again to my ears and based on demos a bit less metal than the normal Super Badass. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    The DS-2 is a great shout - it's got the same general characteristics as the DS-1 (which to me is the definitive pure distortion pedal), although it's not exactly the same even in mode 1 - and mode 2 is a useful extra.

I also like the OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion, which is almost a SD-1 and DS-1 in the same box, with the ability to blend between them, so you can avoid (or mix ;) ) the boxiness of the SD-1 and the harshness of the DS-1.

Did I say I like Boss pedals? :)

The more sophisticated DS-1X is within your budget second hand too - I really like these, although in the end I decided I still prefer my old DF-2.

I would have mentioned the DF-2 - it's still my favourite distortion pedal ever - but I doubt you could find one in working order for under £100 these days.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

• The DS-2 is what Butler used in Suede but, as I understand it, as an overdrive rather than main source of distortion. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I’m surprised nobody has mentioned the humble MXR Distortion+. It’s a classic.
    tFB Trader

Pretty much exactly on budget would be the DOD Gunslinger which they are making again now. Fat yet spikey 70s valve distortion sounds (if that makes any sense), not compressed 80s metal anyway. 

I've had the MXR Super Badass 78 on my wanted list for a while, again to my ears and based on demos a bit less metal than the normal Super Badass. 

The 78 Badass is a Keeley DS-1
    The Super Badass is completely different
  • FezFez Frets: 525
    Back in the day I used a DS1 into an AC 30 & it sounded great don't have either of them now but I bought a DS1 a bit back for nostalgia, it doesn't make my gig board but I do love it.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • The DS-1 is a bona fide classic, beware if you get one that the tone control is spectacularly sensitive, any time I've owned one there's basically one spot where it sounds good, it's either too dark or too bright for 99% of the sweep. Despite that I would still recommend. 

The DS-2 is also a classic but i never got on with the second mode so I find it hard to recommend personally. 

The OS-2 is good for all the reasons ICBM says. 

As a slightly different recommendation, the Way Huge Fat Sandwich is an excellent distortion pedal and very tweakable. 
  • Electro Harmonics flat iron fuzz has just sparked my interest. Apparently it’s their take on a rat and the clips sound decent. Under 70 quid too! I’m quite tempted.
    The Swamp City Shakers