EV Evolve 50 Experiences

What's Hot
MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3655
I play in a three piece covers band.  Vocals, 2x guitar and backing tracks playing pubs and small clubs.  Guitars are Helix direct to PA.

Presently I use a couple of Yamaha DXR12's and the mix is 'narrow stereo'.  Usually feedback is the limiting factor rather than lack of headroom, so I'm not feeling the need for a louder system, but the Yamahas have limited bottom end.

I'm toying with the idea of ditching the Yamahas in favour of a single EV Evolve 50.  It should still fit in the boot of my car and the sub is about the same weight as a single Yamaha.  Going true mono isn't a concern.

Has anyone any real world experience of using these as a PA?  They are clearly popular with DJ's but not much out there about bands.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Paging @Legionreturns .
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• shufflebeatshufflebeat Frets: 105
    edited December 2023
    I’m a regular dxr12 user (mine, as a player) and a semi-regular Evolve 50 (x2, artist-owned, as a sound engineer).

First, on the Yams - if you haven’t done already have a play with the DSP settings on the back. I avoided this for a long time, preferring to rely on my mixer (dl1608/Qu-Pac) EQ but I sometimes struggled with boxy mid feedback. On a whim I set the DSP to “main” and the “boxy” was miraculously cleaned up and bottom end improved. I’ve always been suspicious of onboard EQ but this is very much worth exploring, particularly on small stages.

Evolve - the artist I work for uses well produced backing tracks and guest players, string section, etc. The Evolves handle the audio really well, project down the room great so long as there aren’t any physical blockages and the singer can stand in front of them and avoid the use of a separate monitor at surprisingly high levels.

However, like all mini line-arrays when they come to the limit of their grunt it’s very obvious and I suspect a single Evolve 50 won’t do the job of two well set-up dxr12’s.

You might like to consider the EV elx200-sp subs if space in the car allows. They’re light and loud, go plenty deep for pop and work well with the DXR8’s I put over them, negating the need for separate stands.

P.S.

I’m not far from you, if you’re ever rehearsing at a convenient time I’m happy to call by and let you hear what some subs might add, not the Evolves, unfortunately, they’re not mine - drop a PM.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3655
    Thanks @shufflebeat

The EV subs are a good call.  I've looked at going the sub route in the past but rulled it out due to size (storage, transport and one man lift).  This was probably based on the Yamaha subs, which are huge.

I could probably manage the two Yamaha tops plus a single EV sub, at least as a starting point (maybe look to go to 2 next time I change my car).

I have been running my DXR's in FoH/Main mode for a while now as I've also found that it cleans up the boxy mids.

Chris