Axe IO Vs Scarlett Focusrite

What's Hot
Does anybody have experience of both? 

For 20 years I've been using my Toneport UX2 but it only supports one condenser mic. 

I need to power two condenser mics. Mainly for stereo recording of guitars and for singing.

Scarlett appears to be a very easy to use (which I like) but Axe IO appears to come with Amplitube for free, which would allow me to record electrics if I ever got back into that. 

Focusrite have told me it can support two condenser mics. Does Axe IO and any preference? 

To add... Is there any software to aid with vocals? GearBox software came free with my Toneport and using that, I get effects for electric, bass, acoustic, vocals... 

Thanks in advance!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited December 2023
    D'oh I just read that the Focusrite comes with its own software which includes plugins for vocals. Decisions...

An alternative has been proposed though not sure if would work. Use this to power the second condenser mic:

https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/SubZero-Phantom-Power-Supply/1RLW

• trevAtrevA Frets: 42
    AX I/O has the XLR sockets on the back which may be something to think about if you're going to need to plug and unplug the cables and have the unit positioned on a shelf with limited access at the back. Not a big deal - but may be something.
  • Noted! 
    Scarlett doesn't have midi in. 
    I'm leaning towards the scarlet for simplicity 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10418
    You don't need midi in on an interface, USB to midi is fine and all modern  controllers have that built right in. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Does anybody have experience of both? 

Yes to Focusrite, owner of the Axe Solo and I also own the IK Buffer Boost which has some similar elements to the Axe interfaces...

You talk of software and a load of things and not the single biggest difference between the units, namely the DI capabilities. I'm really impressed with the Axe Solo. The Di options elevate it above other interfaces if you're doing a lot of DI guitar. Using that with Helix Native for several months has been immensely enjoyable.  

• Thanks ;

Heartfelt.. l will mainly be using it for acoustic stereo recording and vox
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 932
    I’ve been doing my research on a simple audio interfaces recently to use with a laptop. If it’s mainly for acoustic recording using condenser mics then as well as Focusrite Scarlett, I would look at Audient and UA Volt options too. 

I wouldn’t get too hung up on what software freebies you get as there’s a loads of decent free VST software out there. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited December 2023
    Yep my list is growing. 

Apparently 2i2 has issues with windows 10. 
    Motu better suited to apple. 

KA6, SSL2 also on the list. 
    Evo 4, ID14 (ID more solid, better pre-amps)

Have to decided to forget about the software (as can always buy that) and focus on just the hardware. Evo4 definitely the cheapest, that's for sure.

Although the SSL2 doesn't have auto gain etc... I think it looks solid and drivers are apparently more stable with windows than the others. Plus separate phantom control power for each channel.

I think Axe IO is off the list.