Voting for Solo of the Month (SotM) #101

What's Hot
Welcome to the voting thread for Solo of the Month (SotM) #101. Feel free to vote and comment in this thread.

Thanks to @flying_pie for this backing track

Vote for your top 3 entries. If you're an entrant you can't vote for yourself.

1st choice gets 5 points
2nd choice gets 3 points
3rd choice gets 1 point

Voting will end at midnight 31st December 2023.

The top three will be announced after the voting closes. No prizes. It's just for fun.

You can find all the entries the playlist below:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/sotm101-2023-12

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Ive managed a break away from Xmas TV to give these a proper listen and enjoyed every single one of them.  When @fastonebaz 's landed I thought it was brilliant but there have been a few since that have been almost as good !

Really hard one to score but I'm going -

@fastonebaz - 5 pts
    @stratman3142 - 3 pts
    @Lewy - 1 pt
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4225
    All awesome! My scores are:

@digitalkettle - 5 points. The whole thing was great but I particularly loved how it grabbed the B section by the scruff of the neck and did so much with it

Very closely following and virtually neck and neck:
    @fastonebaz - 3 points
    @flyingpie - 1 point
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Very nice backing track, I liked how crunchy and tight the rhythm was, I need some tips!

Lots of nice playing and great fun listening back.

5pts @digitalkettle ; - most imaginative, pulled it off nicely, cool phrasing and scalage.
    3pts @Lewy ;- Nice licks, tight controlled technique, phat juicy tonez
    1pts @Basher ;- Cool approach, interesting phrasing, nice tone, well restrained.

• BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    All great. Glad I didn't listen to any beforehand as I wouldn't have bothered!

5 points @digitalkettle ; - absolutely LOVED the first half - harmony guitar heaven. The faster conclusion was less to my taste but very well done. Amazing standard of playing and great tones.

2 points @fastonebaz ;- Could easily have been the man (schoolboy?) himself. Absolutely nailed the tone and phrasing. On the sustained note at the end I could imagine him running off up some ramp over the back of the speakers for some more shenanigans before breaking into another classic riff. 

1 point @flying_pie - having listened again, this could even be my favourite but IMO there's too much reverb and/or delay to really show how bloody good these phrases are. Some masterful restraint in there too where you just let the notes ring out.

TBH, ask me tomorrow and it could all be different. Overall take away was how high the standard was and how much fun it is to skronk away. Almost wish we didn't have to vote (I suppose technically we don't!). 

• 5 points - @Lewy - resonated with me the most...you also get hold of it and wring out the tonez (i'd have got the scalpel out on that clam but it's all good ;) )
    3 points - @fastonebaz - a really authentic take on Angus...you got the notes and the sound...great stuff
    1 point - @flying_pie - liked this one...ambient effects sat in nicely...couple of licks got swallowed up by the backing in the second half

Great attempts all round and good to hear(?) some new faces!

• Great attempts all round and good to hear(?) some new faces!

Yes, and good to 'see' (?) some new solos :)

It's not a competition.
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    Arghhh. I awarded second place with 2 points instead of 3. Hope this can be corrected in the final reckoning.

As chairman of the jury for Fuckwittsville, I apologise.
  • Basher said:
    Arghhh. I awarded second place with 2 points instead of 3. Hope this can be corrected in the final reckoning...
    You can edit your post, but I would have spotted that one, so no problem.
    It's not a competition.
  • Great solos all round. Always tough to pick just 3 but I'll go with

5 points @Lewy - loved the all in approach and the best fit to my ears

3 points @fastonebaz - there might well be a lawsuit for some of those kicks but let's face it everything is stolen from someone else and that was a great solo....

1 point @stratman3142 - it's almost as if you're an old man with a lifetime's experience of playing rock solos 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 5pts - @midiman1962 ; - great in-your-face tone
    3pts - @flying_pie - spring reverb chicken, I thought it sat well with the riff
    1pt - @Basher - very nice slide and harmonies

Tasty playing everyone !

This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • Loads of great solos and hard to chose, particularly on this one.

5 points : @digitalkettle : Melodic dual guitars, Nicely paced and phrased. Great tone.

3 points : @fastonebaz : Sounds like you're in your element on this one. Great Angus vibe. Close call for the top spot.

1 point : @Basher : I was struck by how similar some of the licks sounded between the various solos. This stood out as being a bit different with an Allman Brothers style. Nicely played.

It's not a competition.
  • Voting closes tonight at midnight.

It's not a competition.
  • Quick New Year's Eve vote. Great selection of solos, but here goes.

5 Points - Lewy

3 Points - Digitalkettle

1 Point - Baz

:) 

Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    Voting closed.

It's not a competition.