Getting a new non standard pickguard cut?

What's Hot
Hi all, seasons greetings etc. Just wondering where I could get a pickguard cut and how I would go about providing the correct dimensions?
One option are to get it cut without the pickup routed, and then give it to a luthier who would be able to line it up etc.
I would imagine the easiest option would be to send the existing one to someone to get cut?
I know I will get a few UK recommendations here. Anyone know any in the EU?
I am possibly going to go HH or a different colour but mini humbuckers.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14469
    Trace around the edge. Make a template or send the tracing. 

Obviously, a tracing is likely to be slightly over sized. Expect to have to dress away excess material.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Trace around the edge. Make a template or send the tracing. 

Obviously, a tracing is likely to be slightly over sized. Expect to have to dress away excess material.
    Ah yes, silly me. That is the obvious answer. How do I, (or the expert), ensure that the pickup routes are lined up correctly under the strings? The old fashioned way with a steady hand?
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    edited December 2023
    Mini humbuckers a straight drop in right? I *think* the neck pickup route on the pickguard may be slightly off based on the position of the strings and pole pieces. They look to be ok on the bridge with their spacing etc 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72424
    Creed_Clicks said:

How do I, (or the expert), ensure that the pickup routes are lined up correctly under the strings? The old fashioned way with a steady hand?
    Given that the P90s look like they line up perfectly, as long as you trace around the inside of their cutouts, it will be straightforward to make the new holes in the correct places.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7290
     The way I've done this in the past is to use proper tracing paper, kitchen greaseproof paper, or better still the thin clear plastic that's used for the "windows" in food and other cardboard packaging.  Mark on your existing scratchplate where the outside strings go, using something like masking tape and draw the lines onto it. Trace the actual scratchplate onto the chosen material and mark all the screw holes and string lines.  Cut out the surround and hold it onto the guitar in position to mark out the relevant parts of the control cavity visible through the tracing paper or plastic.  Position the pickups on the template and mark where you want them to be positioned, making sure you have space for the mountings and that the strings will pass over the outside polepieces.  The stiffer clear plastic would allow you to make a full cut-out with holes cut for the pickups and you would be able to align everything on the guitar while seeing through into the cavity to make sure it all fits properly.  You could alternatively make a full cut-out from flexible smooth cardboard but you obviously wouldn't be able to see through it.  Once happy that all the holes are positioned correctly, transfer the template accurately onto something that will scan with good clear markings and scan that at 100% size to email to a custom scratchplate maker, or post the actual template.