Build quality on TC electronic £40 pedals?

What's Hot
JamesC01JamesC01 Frets: 11
edited December 2023 in FX
What's the build quality like on their cheaper pedals? I'm thinking of buying my first fuzz pedal (rusty fuzz), but I don't want to feel like I need an upgrade/replacement later on. I'd like something with solid build quality and good sound right from the start. I know it's in a metal case, but does it feel cheap? My £30 joyo pedals are in metal cases, but they still feel cheap compared to £50+ pedals.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• They will be similar quality to the Joyo. Which is possibly fine. They might last forever but no longer than your Joyo would! You get what your pay for etc. 

Have you a particular fuzz sound in mind? I'd always tend towards buying something better from the second hand market than dropping any money on the Chinese knockoffs (TC Electronic now being owned by Behringer who are king of the knockoffs). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6692
    For not much more you can get an EHX reissue of one of the muff variants. 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • soma1975 said:

Don't have to look far for examples of reliability issues with EHX pedals. Wether they are statistically worse than the tc ones who knows. 
    Most of that tc range are reworkings of Behringer pedals (the companies are owned by the same parent corporation) and, IIRC, part of the idea was to address some of the problems with the Behringers so they should be more reliable than those. The only thing I remember about the Rusty Fuzz is that Pete Thorn gigged one for a while and he has no expense spared set ups so he must have thought it sounded good. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17621
    tFB Trader
    They will sound fine but the build quality will be "to a price"

If you aren't gigging then it probably doesn't matter.

EHX build quality is rubbish so I don't consider that an upgrade.

If you spend a bit more Boss or MXR Pedals will last forever but you are potentially looking at 2x or more cost.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364

Most of that tc range are reworkings of Behringer pedals (the companies are owned by the same parent corporation) and, IIRC, part of the idea was to address some of the problems with the Behringers so they should be more reliable than those. 
    The irony being that the ‘cheap plastic’ Behringer pedals are more reliable than the metal TC ones.

… largely because the Behringers use Boss-type electronic switching and the TCs have mechanical switches.

The weak point on the Behringer pedals is the jacks, although if they’re on a pedalboard it’s not a problem.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

Most of that tc range are reworkings of Behringer pedals (the companies are owned by the same parent corporation) and, IIRC, part of the idea was to address some of the problems with the Behringers so they should be more reliable than those. 
    The irony being that the ‘cheap plastic’ Behringer pedals are more reliable than the metal TC ones.

… largely because the Behringers use Boss-type electronic switching and the TCs have mechanical switches.

The weak point on the Behringer pedals is the jacks, although if they’re on a pedalboard it’s not a problem.

But you could spend a lot more than £40 and still have a mechanical switch, the perception of an £150 pedal is that it should be reliable but (presumably) would only be the same as the tc in that regard. 
    I’ve certainly read stories about those Behringer pedals being dead in the box although maybe the ones that work go on to be reliable. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    soma1975 said:

Don't have to look far for examples of reliability issues with EHX pedals. Wether they are statistically worse than the tc ones who knows. 
    Most of that tc range are reworkings of Behringer pedals (the companies are owned by the same parent corporation) and, IIRC, part of the idea was to address some of the problems with the Behringers so they should be more reliable than those. The only thing I remember about the Rusty Fuzz is that Pete Thorn gigged one for a while and he has no expense spared set ups so he must have thought it sounded good. 

Issues with EHX tends to be for their digital pedals in my experience. The Muffs are fairly bomproof.

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • HoofHoof Frets: 491
    I have the Eyemaster from that range and it seems solid enough.  I presume all pots and switches are PCB mounted but they're all solidly fixed to the chassis too. Time will tell, I suppose but unless it's going on a pedalboard thats going to be clumsily stomped on and possibly stepped on by the odd stage invader, beer spilled on it and spending it's life in the back of a van I really wouldn't worry too much.

The only thing I don't like its switch which engages the effect when you step off it instead of when it's pressed.
  • distresseddistressed Frets: 530
    edited December 2023
    soma1975 said:

Issues with EHX tends to be for their digital pedals in my experience. The Muffs are fairly bomproof.

From my experience, EHX switches are worse than TC Electronic ones. I've had them fail on a few pedals, and my SMMH is lying somewhere dead. I like EHX stuff, but I cannot trust them anymore. I can only hope my East River Drive survives a few years.
    soma1975 said:

From my experience, EHX switches are worse than TC Electronic ones. I've had them fail on a few pedals, and my SMMH is lying somewhere dead. I like EHX stuff, but I cannot trust them anymore. I can only hope my East River Drive survives a few years.
    Yep that's one of their moody digital pedals. . 

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10412
    The TC foot switches I’ve repaired have been micro switch’s on the PCB actuated by the spring on the end of what looks like a normal metal footswitch externally. What tends to happen is the spring wilts and doesn’t hit the micro switch cleanly anymore. Easy solution unbolt all that shit and drop a candle in the hole. Put a bit of tape over the candle so it doesn’t fall out when pedal board is turned upside down
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • distresseddistressed Frets: 530
    edited December 2023
    ^^ Yea I had both switches changed, and then something else in it went south, and of course nobody wants to mess with such digital stuff.
  • Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 277
    edited December 2023
    The cheaper TC Electronic pedals are actually great.  The range is called the "smorgasboard" range, and it's basically a load of classic circuits.  The pedals are nicely finished in large metal cases with nice knobs (Oi! no snickering from the peanut gallery).  I have never opened one up, but I have never had to, which is probably a good sign. They don't feel cheap, and don't have the plasticky smell that a lot of Chinese pedals have.   

I think the models that switch on as the switch is released are the very tiny rat and klon clones - a different range.  Never tried one.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 252
    I have a few of them including the ‘rusty fuzz’ originally mentioned. The boxes are sturdy enough, but not as solid as say a Boss compact. The foot switches don’t feel so good, but I’ve not had any fail.
  • Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 277
    edited December 2023
    Nothing is as sturdy as a Boss pedal.  They survive drone attacks, COVID, bar fights and touring. After world war 3, the only surviving life forms will be cockroaches and Boss pedals.

But the TC Electronic smorgasbord stuff is just fine, and (awaits flaming) might sound just as good as a Boss equivalent.

Discuss. 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7247
    Danny1969 said:
    The TC foot switches I’ve repaired have been micro switch’s on the PCB actuated by the spring on the end of what looks like a normal metal footswitch externally. What tends to happen is the spring wilts and doesn’t hit the micro switch cleanly anymore. Easy solution unbolt all that shit and drop a candle in the hole. Put a bit of tape over the candle so it doesn’t fall out when pedal board is turned upside down
    I have to admit that I'm totally flummoxed by this suggestion.  Is "candle" a slang word for something else, or do you mean a proper candle?  Genuinely puzzled :)
  • Nothing is as sturdy as a Boss pedal.  They survive drone attacks, COVID, bar fights and touring. After world war 3, the only surviving life forms will be cockroaches and Boss pedals.

But the TC Electronic smorgasbord stuff is just fine, and (awaits flaming) might sound just as good as a Boss equivalent.

Discuss. 
    Circuit is a circuit innit. Doubt a Boss is any better than or worse. Outside of BBDs and maybe even germanium transistors, analogue must be close to being fully democratised by this point. Digital is where innovation happens these days. 

(Discuss?)
  • I have a TC Cinders (blues driver clone) which I’ve had for a couple of years. Used it at gigs and rehearsals etc. it feels heavy and solid, but the pots are already starting to get scratchy. My guess is it’ll develop a fault soon and need repairing. 

I’ve just ordered a Mooer blues crab which should sound very similar but I trust mooer more…and I’m going the tiny-pedal route.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10412
    BillDL said:
    Danny1969 said:
    I have to admit that I'm totally flummoxed by this suggestion.  Is "candle" a slang word for something else, or do you mean a proper candle?  Genuinely puzzled :)
    A real candle, cut to size lengthwise

Take something like a Polytune. The footswitch isn't a mechanical footswitch like used on a lot of pedals. The system uses a metal footswitch externally that then has a spring that makes contact with a micro switch directly on the PCB. This is used on some Line 6 pedals, some Vox and many others.  This system tends to fail. 

For a quick and easy repair though you can unbolt the footswitch leaving a round hole. Then get a candle because A it's round and will fit the hole and B because it's soft and won't destroy the micro switch when it makes contact. Drop that in the hole and the pedal will work again. Put a bit of tape over the candle to prevent it falling out and dust getting in there. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7247
    edited December 2023
    Thanks for the explanation @Danny1969