Not a new amp day But a poor experience from Thomann

What's Hot
nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1502
edited January 19 in Amps
Althought I've bought numerous amps over the years I've never felt like doing a NAD thread.

On the 30th of Nov..I decided to buy a Tone King Imperial head (Why Head i'll get to).

I'd bought the Neural plug in last year roughly Christmas and was blown away with the shear range of sounds available from it, also with my Kemper, the Imperial profiles that I'd heard were always fairly good.

I like Fender type amps as my main preference and having the 2 channels on the imperial (Tweed for lead and Blackface/twin for rhythm). great separation, distinctively different sounding.

The built in attenuator is another of the big plus points for me, Quiet at home, but ability to saturate. I also really like the ability to attenuate one channel only. Leaving the rhythm un-attenuated, clean, smooth and chimey while attenuating then lead channel into pure gritty filth at the same volume!

I did initially start looking at combo's but a B-Stock Thomann bargain popped up at a dar cheaper price than new, i've already got a 1x12 with a G12m Greenback in it which I really love, so going for the head was a great option.

Build quality is really good, and the amp is so full, lots of articulation in every note, rounded notes thick, creamy..
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1159
    Glad you’re happy, and that it finally arrived!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice score mate !

We need some photees =)
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1502
    Nice score mate !

We need some photees =)
    Photo
    And..It worked for about 3 hours

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    And it's going back to thomann. They refuse to replace it as it was a b stock return. 

I'm disappointed with the experience from start to finish. 3 weeks late on delivery. Non working amp. Minimal support from thomann. 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bloody hell that’s disappointing. No clue what’s up with it?
    Turns out a blown 6v6
  • Mike58Mike58 Frets: 162
    You must be concerned, obviously could have just been transit vibration affecting that valve. What happens if it starts eating power valves? Surely either Thomann or Tone King will warranty the amp.
    Go online, search Tone King warranty registration and get the thing registered. Also read ALL the small print on Thomann website re b-stock.
    its a pisser, you only expect b-stock to be cosmetic flaws, I really hope this doesn’t become a mare for you

• Mike58 said:
    You must be concerned, obviously could have just been transit vibration affecting that valve. What happens if it starts eating power valves? Surely either Thomann or Tone King will warranty the amp.
    Go online, search Tone King warranty registration and get the thing registered. Also read ALL the small print on Thomann website re b-stock.
    its a pisser, you only expect b-stock to be cosmetic flaws, I really hope this doesn’t become a mare for you

Should be covered by the 14 day distance seller returns regardless of being b-stock, but assume only refund, as they wouldn't be able to replace a b-stock with a 'new one' still, must leave a sour taste in mouth!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Nero1701 showed me a video that looked like a physical issue with the valve rather than being caused by the amp, it was glowing bright purple which I think indicates air leaking in, I’m not an expert though 
    They are happy to accept a return, but all seems well with my Princeton's 6V6's in there, I'm now trying to convince Thomann to replace a set of valves...
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2199
    Ive got the opportunity to buy a Tone King Continental, i think its a higher powered Imperial.

Now it's working again how are you liking it?
    andy1839 said:
    Ive got the opportunity to buy a Tone King Continental, i think its a higher powered Imperial.

Now it's working again how are you liking it?
    I'd almost use wine to describe it...

Lush, cheeky and full bodied with a hint of sparkle ;-)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 792
    HNAD. I'm sure Thomman will replace the duff valves if you can provide evidence /photo . The amp is still guaranteed 3yrs and they'll honour that. I had a flashback x4 replaced after more than 18 months when the switching became unreliable. All the shipping is done at their expense. They're very fair and i can't speak highly enough of them  based on several experiences. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    2nd set of 6V6's bites the dust.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh dear, that sucks  :/
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2603
    tFB Trader
    nero1701 said:
    2nd set of 6V6's bites the dust.
    Sounds like something is wrong in the amp, either return it or you will have to get a tech to look at it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2233
    , .... that shouldn't happen, Send her back  

Unusual for a Tone King to have this sort of fault isn't it ? 
    I'm beginning to wonder why it was a b-stock, 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Mmhm