NAD - Emprize Harrier 6L6

What's Hot
menamestommenamestom Frets: 4705

I’ve used a Tweed Deluxe for the last 4 or 5 years but as we have added a drummer I wanted a bit more clean headroom.  Plus I’ve always wanted  a ‘best of Fender’ type amp, so when I saw the Harrier was available I made a note as it ticked many of the boxes I wanted in my next amp.

20w would probably be enough, but I wanted the bigger 6L6 sound for a change, which was no issue for Philip at Emprize to accommodate.
So basically it’s a 40W amp with a brownface and blackface channel, which can cover a lot of ground from Brownface Deluxe, Deluxe Reverb to Vibrolux / Vibroverb type sounds.  There’s a variable NFB control as well which adds versatility and can edge the amp towards tweed type sounds on the lead channel as feedback is removed from the circuit.  

I’ve not gigged it yet but went down the rehearsal room for a blast and it sounds incredible.  I’ll post some clips soon.
Build quality is amazing.  

Definitely worth checking out Emprize if you are in the market for a handbuilt valve amplifier, personally I think they are also an absolute bargain in the current market, it wasn’t massively more than a new PCB DRRI.

Pics from Emprize FB page:-

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Lovely.
    Played a couple of their amps at shows. Very nice indeed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strat84strat84 Frets: 317
    Very nice! Would love to hear some clips if you get chance 
  • That looks the biz. Congratulations.
  • PFAllen2PFAllen2 Frets: 244
    Happy New Amp Day! I spotted the 6L6 Harrier on his instagram page and was very intrigued. If you can manage some clips at some time, that would be very helpful.
    Click here for my Trading Feedback
  • Grats. Been looking at some of his stuff from afar and very tempted, as you say they’re a really good price for handwired and the gut shots look very neat and tidy etc.

I don’t want to do the reach out and ask before ready, but a 6g3 suitable for in a terrace house is probably my ultimate end game so there may be a chat at some point about what’s possible with his Stamford and some tweaks.
  • Grats. Been looking at some of his stuff from afar and very tempted, as you say they’re a really good price for handwired and the gut shots look very neat and tidy etc.

I don’t want to do the reach out and ask before ready, but a 6g3 suitable for in a terrace house is probably my ultimate end game so there may be a chat at some point about what’s possible with his Stamford and some tweaks.
    Definitely worth a chat.  I contacted Philip initially by email more than a year ago, then picked the trail back in October.
    Replies were always really detailed and informative with no pressure to order, so it’s worth asking the questions sooner rather than later so you can get a feel for what is available.  

strat84 said:
    Very nice! Would love to hear some clips if you get chance 

PFAllen2 said:
    Happy New Amp Day! I spotted the 6L6 Harrier on his instagram page and was very intrigued. If you can manage some clips at some time, that would be very helpful.

Thanks, yes will definitely get some clips in the next few weeks.  Also you’re welcome to have a go if you are ever over in Stockport.
    Excellent!

That's a very kind offer. I'm actually due back at Stepping Hill Hospital with work around Feb - March  :)
  • strat84 said:
    Excellent!

That's a very kind offer. I'm actually due back at Stepping Hill Hospital with work around Feb - March  :)
    Great, drop me a line when you do, I have a rehearsal room just down the road near the peel roundabout in Vernon Mill.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4705

Clip below! Lots of Chase Tone Fuzz Fella going on as well but the amp is amazing.

https://youtu.be/Txc6uS5yhg0?si=Puc05ngZ3K68jS4k
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Very nice sound, the band sounds great as well! Which channel were you using in that clip? 
    strat84 said:
    Very nice sound, the band sounds great as well! Which channel were you using in that clip? 
    Cheers.  Deluxe Reverb Channel. I’ve not really used the Brown channel yet, but probably should. 
  • Sharky77Sharky77 Frets: 211
    Sounds great! Was there a conversation with Philip about still using the 40w speaker in a 40w amp? I've been wanting to put 2 of the 10" SC64's into my old '68 Vibrolux but the consensus seems to be that you need the speakers to be rated quite a bit higher than the amp puts out
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 855
    Sounds great
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
    Sharky77 said:
    Sounds great! Was there a conversation with Philip about still using the 40w speaker in a 40w amp? I've been wanting to put 2 of the 10" SC64's into my old '68 Vibrolux but the consensus seems to be that you need the speakers to be rated quite a bit higher than the amp puts out
    In think the amp is closer to 35w, so will be fine, and 35w is probably way more than I use anyway.  Suppose it's only like a 5E3 using Blues so all good.