Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Should I buy an HX Stomp?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3398
    edited December 2023
    I wouldn't think of it as an either / or, but both. I.e. you can have both a modeller AND an amp.

For the modeller you could monitor it by either using headphones or an frfr (get one with an aux in and you can play backing tracks through it, something like this....)
    https://www.andertons.co.uk/amps/electric-guitar-amps/guitar-cabs/frfr-guitar-cabs/headrush-frfr-108-mk2-full-range-flat-response-2000w-1x8-powered-cab

Alternatively you can just plug it into the return of your amp and disable the cab block. Try the internal effects, a lot of them are very good, although maybe not as good as some of your (very nice) pedals. You can use your pedals in 4CM with the HX stomp, drives before, time based fx in the loop.

Powering line 6 stuff on a board is a bit of a pain due to the high current draw. You'll also need some special adaptors to get it to work, but these usually come bundled with power supplies.

The usb interface is also really useful if you ever want to do any recording.

There will be a learning curve. At the end of the day it is software. But the Line 6 stuff is the most user friendly UI out there I believe.

I use a modeller (Atomic Amplifire) and FRFR, and also have valve amps. My modeller is great and used to be my primary 'amp' but I'm back to valve amps 90% of the time these days. At the end of the day there is no substitute for a Marshall 4x12, but they are loud and at lower volumes a modeller is often a better solution.

Hope this helps?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonP said:

Hope this helps?

It does - thanks!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    I have an issue with my HX Stomp: it is never off, so it affects the sound even with all switches off.
    I got around it by putting it in a switcher loop, but I would never have it as an only pedal or permanently in the signal chain.
    I bought it to replace several pedals and it does that quite well.
  • DeftDeft Frets: 30
    prowla said:
    I have an issue with my HX Stomp: it is never off, so it affects the sound even with all switches off.

It has a relay/analogue bypass if you press down the 2 vertical knobs at the same time, personally after a bit of blind testing I couldn't tell when it was on or off however.

For amp/cab simulation the Stomp can get a bit fiddly (option paralysis), but for effects I find it a lot more straightforward. Could be that I'm less fussy about effects but most of the time I can find the sound I'm after pretty quickly, stick it in the favourites list, and be done with it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • My Main Board is Powered by a HX stomp. I run a power amp into a cab either FRFR or Trad speakers. I found it stopped me Gassing at pedals and amps. (I still do but not at much). Its Also a computer interface (Which I don't use but its a plus) Also I bought mine when they were just released and L6 keep updating them with new free updates. So the platform is very mature and L6 don't seem keen on releasing any New More powerful Helix anytime soon.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15967
    Are the amp cabs simuls usable live?
    tae be or not tae be
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    Deft said:
    prowla said:

It has a relay/analogue bypass if you press down the 2 vertical knobs at the same time, personally after a bit of blind testing I couldn't tell when it was on or off however.

For amp/cab simulation the Stomp can get a bit fiddly (option paralysis), but for effects I find it a lot more straightforward. Could be that I'm less fussy about effects but most of the time I can find the sound I'm after pretty quickly, stick it in the favourites list, and be done with it.

I've never viewed them as footswitches?

As mentioned, I run it via a switcher anyway; it also allows you to switch settings whilst out of circuit.
  • NickBNickB Frets: 241
    edited December 2023
    I have one that I use with a Jet Pedals Micro HX which is a midi pre programmed switcher. I am a complete technophobe and I find it easy to use 
     https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53424913171_4e92849c3e_k.jpg 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 932
    The Stomp is great and amazing value for what it does. The fact that Line 6 are still doing significant updates is also terrific (new feedbacker is ace)
    I do all patch building and tweaking with the HX Edit software on a Mac. It’s so much quicker and easier than bending over that tiny screen with the knobs and buttons. If you’re going to edit like this, I would definitely recommend getting a Stomp. 
    It has certainly replaced my modulation pedals and delays. The reverbs are okay - fine for playing but I tend to use VST reverbs for recording. I use the amp/cab sims all the time for recording/playing (good for bass too). 
    I have retained my overdrive and fuzz pedals. Maybe I haven’t tweaked the Stomp ones enough to my taste but I tend to still prefer my real OD/fuzz pedals. 

• CarbonCopyCarbonCopy Frets: 208
    Deft said:
    prowla said:

Or you can assign the analogue true bypass to a footswitch. I can't hear the difference though either.