I am selling this fretless because...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72505
    The best put-down of fretless bass snobbery I've ever heard was from the great Jack Bruce - he said that when he was playing fretted and played a bum note, it was glaringly obvious... but when he was playing fretless and played a bum note, he would just immediately slide to the right one and everyone thought he sounded expressive, so he found it was a great way of covering his mistakes.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28525
    If anyone's going to be snobby about fretless vs fretted bass they should be handed an untuned cello and an unrosined bow. Let's see how far they get with that - you can't even look at some of the neck, there are no side dots, and even tuning the bastard is difficult. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1954
    Sporky said:
    If anyone's going to be snobby about fretless vs fretted bass they should be handed an untuned cello and an unrosined bow. Let's see how far they get with that - you can't even look at some of the neck, there are no side dots, and even tuning the bastard is difficult. 
     =) 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28525
    I should probably point out at this stage that I had a fretless bass and didn't get very far with it. ;) 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • bassborabassbora Frets: 132
    ICBM said:
    The best put-down of fretless bass snobbery I've ever heard was from the great Jack Bruce - he said that when he was playing fretted and played a bum note, it was glaringly obvious... but when he was playing fretless and played a bum note, he would just immediately slide to the right one and everyone thought he sounded expressive, so he found it was a great way of covering his mistakes.

:)
    And his Thumb sounded amazing. I loved his fretless playing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24469
    Jaco’s bass had lines on it. He wasn’t cheating.

he was overrated and dull, but he wasn’t cheating.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5780
    Jaco’s bass had lines on it. He wasn’t cheating.

he was overrated and dull, but he wasn’t cheating.
    I think if Jaco had only done the work he did with Joni Mitchell, that alone would make him a top 5 of all time player. 

I could happily live without Weather Report though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31632
    My only bass was a fretless Wal Custom for years, but slowly I realised that almost none of my favourite music is played on a fretless, in fact the sound of them now gets on my tits if I'm honest. 

Of course you don't have to be the bass playing equivalent of Mariah Carey on them, but there can be an element of "bassplayer's bassplayer" about them and I just want to tell them to shut up. :)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    edited February 5
    (oops!)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom