Familiar songs that you've only just learned to appreciate

stufisherstufisher Frets: 845
I was listening to the radio this morning and All of my heart by ABC was played ... kinnell! ... what a track that is :astonished: 

I've known it since its release 40+ years ago but today I actually 'heard' it for the first time. I have often been too dismissive of post punk bands and songs but Martin Fry and his band really hit me today.

The orchestration, arrangement, layering, clarity and overall production just hit me like a ton of bricks:

https://open.spotify.com/track/5OtbeQksu0wey8lWQ7fYgR?si=f2qese6XSgeVn4M-hdZ4Wg

What tracks/songs have had the same belated effect on you?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• topdog91topdog91 Frets: 304
    Most recently the Motown and funk / disco songs we're playing in the current band. I kind of knew them-ish but never really listened properly.

Reach Out I'll Be There - the power of the vocals and the backing vocals, the backbeat, it's become one of my favourite songs of all time.
    I Heard It Through the Grapevine - those lyrics, pain! Moody riff, dynamics. Love the backing vocals, again it's just brilliant.
    Can't Take My Eyes Off You - love the lyrics, so pure, and the way that sensitive verse turns into a banging chorus.
    Disco Inferno - a brilliant addictive groove and I can't stop the 11 minute long version halfway through, the groove never lets up.
    That's The Way I Like It / Get Down Tonight - the sort of songs that pack the dancefloor, banging grooves, deceptively hard to play with groove.
    Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14430
    stufisher said:
    The orchestration, arrangement, layering, clarity and overall production just hit me like a ton of bricks:
    Trevor Horn
    Anne Dudley
    J. J. Jeczalik

'Nuff said.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    Pet Shop Boys - Rent. What an amazing song.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5854
    edited January 6
    The 00's didn't seem to offer too much in Pop Music to me at the time, I was in my 30's and had my roots in Rock Music but after listening to Absolute 00's for a change, I'm surprised at how many songs I really liked. Here's just two that I now think are fantastic.

Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1945
    Interstate Love Song by Stone Temple Pilots. 

I watched the Robert DeLeo interview with Rick Beato a couple of weeks back. He came across really well. I listened to STP for the first time in years (probably decades). They were skilled songwriters. Interstate is such a good song that works so well for both the electric and acoustic versions. It's just such a fun song to play.