Ground wiring question

What's Hot
My wiring diagram says I should run a ground wire from the TOM bridge to the tone pot. It's a bit short. Is it OK to connect it to the volume pot rather than the tone? Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72429
    Yes, in fact it's marginally better if there's any difference at all. (Which is unlikely in practice.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3879
    ICBM said:
    Yes, in fact it's marginally better if there's any difference at all. (Which is unlikely in practice.)
    Cheers. The PAF-style pickups I've got don't have ground wires. Is that right?

Lebarque said:

The PAF-style pickups I've got don't have ground wires. Is that right?
    They do... it's the outer braid of the cable. You need to solder that to the backs of the pots, which will need a large soldering iron - at least 50W, with a big tip.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SporkySporky Frets: 28421
    ICBM said:

They do... it's the outer braid of the cable. You need to solder that to the backs of the pots, which will need a large soldering iron - at least 50W, with a big tip.
    Sometimes I think you just post to troll me. ;) 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:

Well, there are other methods, which are arguably better :).

But the classic and ‘factory correct’ way is to do it like that… if you’re just changing the pickups and they have braided cabling, it’s still probably the easiest way - if you have the right tools.

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3879
    ICBM said:
    Sporky said:

But the classic and ‘factory correct’ way is to do it like that… if you’re just changing the pickups and they have braided cabling, it’s still probably the easiest way - if you have the right tools.
    It's a complete rewire (new guitar). What's the other way then?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28421
    Instead of soldering anything to the back of a pot, which is more difficult and risks damaging the pot, use grounding washers, or a loop of solid core wire screwed into the side of the control cavity. That gives you an easy point to connect all your grounds. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    ICBM said:
    Sporky said:

What are these other methods which are better to troll @Sporky with?

( =))
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom