Why does this happen? (and can I fix it)

benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
I have a Hudson Broadcast AP and a Kingtone Mini Fuzz (Ge) - both work fine independently. When I use both together I get a very gated sound that swells into existence a la an old Boss Slow Gear. 

It sounds as though the fuzz is overloading the Broadcast (in an unpleasant way) which I don't really understand especially considering how AP uses his in real life. I assume its something to do with the Mini Fuzz being Ge but other than that I have no idea. 

Caveats/Background

• The Hudson is in a G3 loop. The Mini Fuzz is pre-G3
  • I also have Thorpy Veteran Fuzz (set full fuzz) which works absolutely fine into the Broadcast 
  • The issue happens even with the Mini Fuzz set at minimum gain
How very rock and roll
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6692
    edited December 2023

My GE fuzz runs into a treble booster but previously went into  drive pedals and absolutely fine. If I have gain stages before the fuzz it can flub out pretty quickly as the 'headroom' of the fuzz isn't very high and my non tech-knowledge interpretation  is that I'm overloading (overdriving?) the circuit. 

Also, if gain stacking then usually better to have the gains on the various pedals pretty low. Although appreciate you said it happens at minimum gain. 

Is there a buffer or something on the G3?

Re-reading your post I realise none of this is helpful. Soz. 

I blame Ariel Posen. For like, everything. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • How much overall signal is going out of the Fuzz? I assume not but could that be giving more overall level than the G3 can output into the loop where the Hudson sits? Or a buffer driving the loop that means the fuzz doesn't play nice? 

Have you tried the fuzz straight into the Hudson without the G3 involved at all? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • All good points, I only play at home so volumes are relatively low most of the time. I've had the G3 for a while now so I'm going off memory but I'm sure I had this issue before I had it. I will definitely try pulling them both off the board and just trying them in isolation though. 

I may also try dropping the Gigrig support team a message. They've been super helpful in the past and although it may not be the G3 perhaps they could shed some light on it
    How very rock and roll
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Is the G3 buffered? I thought it has true bypass loops. Or is there a single buffer at the start?

If not, it may be that the Mini Fuzz is outputting a significant DC offset. A buffer will block this, so if the G3 is not buffered, try any other buffered pedal (bypassed) between the two and see if it fixes it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein