How do you go about getting gigs?

What's Hot
I am in a couple of bands, both of which were established when I joined with regular gig bookings so I never had to think about how to get gigs as a new band.

A few musician friends and I put a band together essentially to play at a mates wedding. To be honest it was actually pretty decent and we enjoyed it so thought we would actually have a go as a proper band. We have done a couple of other parties for mutual friends and the odd pub gig at the singers local. 

Would really like to get say a gig per month ish, just pub covers for fun. I have put ads out on local Facebook groups and replied to hundreds of ‘band wanted’ posts again on local Facebook groups but not even had a thanks but no thanks. 

Any suggestions where I could do a bit more to get a better return?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3589
    You need a showreel, it’s the modern equivalent of leaving your business card (have contact details scroll across the screen). People won’t come looking, you need to place it online and in all your posts/emails etc. 
    Check all local listings of gigs to get venues and contacts and fire away. Always say available to cover cancellations, venues are likely to stick with what has worked in the past and you need that short notice chance to prove yourselves.
    you need determination and thick skin. Dozens of chancers chasing the same few gigs, sometimes the personal visit to introduce yourself is enough to break into a venue.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7006
    Be proactive, and think about how to make your band stand out a bit from the others who are chasing the same gigs.

As @ESBlonde has indicated, a showreel (or any kind of footage) is a good idea.  It shows the potential venue what kind of performance they’re getting.

For contact as an unknown quantity, there’s nothing like the personal touch.  Go round the local venues, find out who books the bands and when they’ll be in, and talk to them in person.  

When you get to talk to the right person, be prepared.  Have a clear picture of:

1.  How long you can play.
    2.  Set list.
    3.  Expected fee.
    4.  Link to social media profile for the band.
    5.  Date availability for the band.

A good start for a social media profile should include decent footage (preferably live, with an enthusiastic audience and good audio), photos, and something about previous gigs.  Invite your friends to follow it so there’s evidence that someone might come to the pub to watch the band play (and hopefully spend lots of money on drink).

In short - you need to get yourself under the nose of whoever books bands, and once you’re there be in a position to present yourself as a competent, reliable band who are going to attract more paying customers.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    To a large extent looking at gig listings, trying to identify roughly similar bands and then contacting those venues with links to your Facebook page (with showreel or at least some video). Sometimes they go no thanks we already have one Albanian folk punk band here regularly but sometimes oh we can't get enough Albanian folk punk bands here when are you available. Sometimes it's oh we only book through an agency so you then contact that agency. 
    We were invited to do twenty minutes at an open mic night once which was at least the bunch of us hitting the stage together and that pub then booked us for two paid gigs. After a couple of years we were gigging a couple of times per month and one would be via an agency and one would be self found/repeat business. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2288
    Book marked. In similar situation as OP except even harder for us as most of our stuff is our own and we're rather old!
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4781
    rze99 said:
    Book marked. In similar situation as OP except even harder for us as most of our stuff is our own and we're rather old!
    I know that feeling... :-( 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    If you're already in other gigging bands then just have a word with the landlord while your there and ask for a date for your new band,  or ring them up and introduce yourself mentioning the current bands.  If they've already seen you in one band, they should give you a gig in another..