Help some brothers out.. scammer content

What's Hot

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10675
    tFB Trader
    goldtop said:
     some buyers here have sent payment that way without me asking.)
    Same has happened with me ... I would stress to anyone who is feeling uncomfortable, don't use PPF&F. If I'm selling you something you can ask for a PayPal invoice if you prefer and that gives you a full paper trail of what you are getting and what you will pay. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • uksaint7uksaint7 Frets: 314
    Where payment has been requested PPF&F I will often just work out what I’d need to pay extra for the seller to receive the same amount and make the payment using PPG&S without running it past the seller first- no real need to have a conversation about it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • topdog91topdog91 Frets: 358
    edited December 2023
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/259255/fender-deluxe-roadhouse-stratocaster-380

Another suspiciously cheap sale from an account that hasn't been active for a while and when it was, was largely active in the trading forums.

Edit: not wanting to spread panic but can't ignore...
    Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
  • mankytommankytom Frets: 235
    Super dodgy this. Well spotted. Hope nobody has sent cash

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Probably the same scammer?. The comments suggest someone spoke with the scammer on the phone? 
    tFB Trader
    Lordy ... yep .... Craigslist.
    Looks as dodgy as a retirement plan for Kamikaze pilots ...  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • For what it's worth, I've just found another one - zammo. I'm not going to say how I found them, for obvious reasons, but I've got a pretty good idea of how this is all put together at this point. It's pretty clear that this is one individual responsible for all the scams lately.

We've amended our process for signups, which should stop them getting in, and I've changed a few bits regarding existing user profiles which should prevent them from screwing with people.

I'm going to be out this evening, and a good portion of tomorrow, but I'll keep checking in to keep an eye on everything.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3992
    Is it worth advising people to stick to Paypal Goods and Services unless paying someone who they actually personally know?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    For what it's worth, I've just found another one - zammo. I'm not going to say how I found them, for obvious reasons, but I've got a pretty good idea of how this is all put together at this point. It's pretty clear that this is one individual responsible for all the scams lately.

We've amended our process for signups, which should stop them getting in, and I've changed a few bits regarding existing user profiles which should prevent them from screwing with people.

I'm going to be out this evening, and a good portion of tomorrow, but I'll keep checking in to keep an eye on everything.
    At this point can I just say what an absolute diamond bunch of modmins we have here ...  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 28reaction image Wisdom
    For what it's worth, I've just found another one - zammo. I'm not going to say how I found them, for obvious reasons, but I've got a pretty good idea of how this is all put together at this point. It's pretty clear that this is one individual responsible for all the scams lately.

At this point can I just say what an absolute diamond bunch of modmins we have here ...  
    agreed!! Thanks for everything you guys do.. imagine it feels thankless at times, but good on you! 
  • prlgmnr said:
    Is it worth advising people to stick to Paypal Goods and Services unless paying someone who they actually personally know?
    I've literally just done that - everybody should see a message they can't dismiss at the top of the forum.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5180
    I know how it feels to be on the receiving end of a scam….I charity auctioned a pedal here…..turns out the ex-regular was full of shit…..heart goes out to the victims….still love this place though.  <3
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2023 tFB Trader
    £2,300 a minute was lost to fraud in the UK last year that's one point two billion quid. In spite of a claim by our 'noble political leaders' that crime has gone down by 50% since 2010 ... conveniently, fraud is left out of those figures. 

• MrTeeMrTee Frets: 511
    goldtop said:
    Re sellers insisting on PPF&F, if you really REALLY want the specific item is for sale, offer an extra 4% to cover the PP fees for Goods & Services.

If the seller refuses, it's clear that it's not the PP fees he's trying to avoid - it's the chances of a chargeback. Walk away.

(That said for long-standing tFBers, I've sometimes used PPF&F. Also, some buyers here have sent payment that way without me asking.)
    I tried to offer a member here an additional 4% to cover the fees, and was told it would be unacceptable as I may just be out scam him somehow (return after intended use, return an alternative etc). 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @OilCityPickups that is flabbergasting, and the police are probably in no position to investigate all of that adequately..

up to 150 on the fundraiser by the way.. link in OP for anyone in a position to donate, I’m sure anything appreciated!!
  • Apart from using a secure payment method, my brain has gone into overdrive thinking over possible solutions to try and mitigate issues like this in the future. Excuse me as I do a lot of problem solving in my work.

Is there a way to set a time limited reputation for members?
    X amount of posts within the last x weeks before they can sell items. Even if it is something simple as a badge, or even just telling members to have a look at a profile to show this kind of stat.

Start the  practice of the full transaction to be openly discussed in posts rather than PM.

Sales above a certain value to include a third party, mod/admin before the buyer pulls the trigger.

I will stop here or I will be here all night.
  • mankytom said:
    @OilCityPickups that is flabbergasting, and the police are probably in no position to investigate all of that adequately..

up to 150 on the fundraiser by the way.. link in OP for anyone in a position to donate, I’m sure anything appreciated!!
    It's not the job of the police to deal with it - it's up to Action Fraud.

And, on the basis of their previous performance dealing with scammers on here, after we provided them with more than enough evidence to take it to court...they're woefully inadequate at it.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18981
    mankytom said:

It's not the job of the police to deal with it - it's up to Action Fraud.

And, on the basis of their previous performance dealing with scammers on here, after we provided them with more than enough evidence to take it to court...they're woefully inadequate at it.
    ^ Yep, Inaction Fraud would have been more accurate.
    Enjoy your evening out, you deserve it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom