Oak pedalboard build

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• strat84strat84 Frets: 317
    Looking great James  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jamesjames Frets: 50
    Thanks  :) My Bright Onion patch box should be arriving tomorrow, so that will open up the next instalment. 
  • cathodynecathodyne Frets: 24
    I keep wondering if I should have just bought a Schmidt Array. With how much goes in to the design, I see more value in them now   
    I think there’s huge value not just in the finished product but all the learning too, and I get the impression you are enjoying the process. :-)  I’ve really enjoyed reading this thread (and it reminds me I wish I had a space for woodworking in).  Kudos to you Sir!
    edited January 17
    cathodyne said:
    I keep wondering if I should have just bought a Schmidt Array. With how much goes in to the design, I see more value in them now   
    I think there’s huge value not just in the finished product but all the learning too, and I get the impression you are enjoying the process. :-)  I’ve really enjoyed reading this thread (and it reminds me I wish I had a space for woodworking in).  Kudos to you Sir!
    I'm glad that comes across in the thread. I work in the world of digital, but applying the same design and problem solving skillset to creating something tangible from wood feels like a really welcome departure from my desk. Most definitely learning a lot along the process, too. 

I'm planning on cutting the hole in the side for the patch box today. It's huge! The dimensions BO provide for it are of the enclosure, it's about 15mm wider with the socket and nuts sticking out. As such, I'll cut the hole in the side undersized (so it can't fall through), then create a rebate for the pedal to tuck in to, buying me an extra 10mm or so. 

The rear portion of the lower tier very rapidly fills up! The IEC cable is very inflexible, the hinges need clearance in front of them for their range of movement, and I'm still hoping to squeeze an always-on pedal under there (which won't be a fuzz =) ).

Between the combination of the massive RD pedal, and losing 1cm ish from the pedalboard depth when I miss drilled the dowel holes, the Zuma won't fit turned 90º without it creating more unusable dead space on the left. I think I will also benefit from power cables with right angles at both ends. 

Hole holed. That's it finished from the outside, but I'll definitely create an internal rebate which will move the sockets nearer to the outside. 

Note also the crack that appeared! Currently glued and clamped. 

Also, excuse the carpet in all these photos. Despite my study being the room I probably spend the most time in (I work from home), it's the one room in the house that hasn't had anything done to it yet =) 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Could you get a slightly longer IEC cable and flip the Zuma upside down so it moves further to the left?
    normula1 said:
    Could you get a slightly longer IEC cable and flip the Zuma upside down so it moves further to the left?
    That's a good shout. I'll give it a go. I can definitely get an IEC cable a bit longer. 
    edited January 17
    In fact, if I could get one that had the right angle going in to the Zuma coming from the other direction, I could loop the cable over the top and that allows it to move quite a bit left. 

Edit: The one I have is the opposite way around to the photo on the website I bought it from. That would explain why the Zuma isn't ending up where I imagined! 
    I haven't forgotten about this project, there's just a lot of life getting in the way at the moment! That said, work does owe me a few days off in lieu at the moment, so some progress may happen soon. 

The components have been sat in a pile in my study, and no further cracks have appeared, so I'm happy to continue working with this wood and the next stage will be sanding then gluing.