RIP John Pilger

What's Hot
ShrewsShrews Frets: 3009
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-67853392

Sure I read somewhere he was aboard the last helicopter out of Saigon in the Vietnam War but a brief google shows nothing, so maybe not. 

Big name back in the 1970's with the excellent World In Action.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Damn, he done some fantastic work. Are there going to be a new group to replace this older generation rather than the bought and paid for crew.
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24312
    Shrews said:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-67853392

Sure I read somewhere he was aboard the last helicopter out of Saigon in the Vietnam War but a brief google shows nothing, so maybe not. 

Big name back in the 1970's with the excellent World In Action.

One of a kind.  RIP John.

World in Action was amazing, hard-hitting TV.  The theme tune was bloody great too...

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BradBrad Frets: 659
    Those in power will sleep a little more comfortably from now on, while the voiceless have lost someone fighting their cause.

Goodnight John Pilger 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18773
    Damn, he done some fantastic work. Are there going to be a new group to replace this older generation rather than the bought and paid for crew.
    This. The age of independent fearless firebrand journalists appears to have been damped down, but I hope I'm wrong.   RIP
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1411
    Damn, he done some fantastic work. Are there going to be a new group to replace this older generation rather than the bought and paid for crew.
    This. The age of independent fearless firebrand journalists appears to have been damped down, but I hope I'm wrong.   RIP

The presence of this sort of journalist is much less tolerated these days, and not really open as any sort of career path in light of embedded reporters and partisan editorialising.

Journalism itself is now a much lower value occupation, writing short form articles and snippets of information collected by agencies elsewhere. This is, in part, due to the frighteners put up the newsmakers by crusading firebrands such as John Pilger.

So I'll raise a toast to one of the last of a dying breed, people so dangerous they could no longer be allowed to exist.

RIP John.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong