Strat neck & tele bridge pups - recommendations please

What's Hot
LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
edited December 2023 in Making & Modding
I'm building a mash up of a telecaster from off offcuts and scrap wood in my workshop. I'd like to install a strat neck pickup for that strat tone and a tele bridge pup for, well that tele tone with the usual tele controls and 3 way switch. 

The choice of pups is a little overwhelming, being a p90 / humbucker player I'm out of my depth when it comes to regular single coils.

If you have any recomendations for a pair of pickups that will work ok together then please do post them here. 
Nothing bright, I play blues and some Jazz so looking for a warm and clear sound.
(Ideally UK made - but not too spendy)
Thanks. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8724
    My favourites are:
    Neck - Oil City Californian. It uses longer magnets to make it sound like a Strat neck pickup.
    Bridge - Oil City Wapping Wharf. This is a tapped single coil, giving two different Tele bridge sounds.
    If your body is deep enough you can fit a five way superswitch and get: Bridge, Tapped Bridge, Both in parallel, Neck, Both in Series
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Thanks, i'm building the guitar from scratch so can easily route for a standard strat neck pup - which is what I had in mind. The guitar will not have a pick guard so will be a direct mount or a hand made pick up ring to secure it.
    will have a look at Oil city's website.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8724
    Not being a fan of pick guards I body mount my pickups using threaded inserts. It means drilling out the neck pickup mounting holes. If you use a traditional long Tele bridge plate the pickup crews into that. With a short bridge plate you can body mount with smaller screw diameters through the bridge pickup holes.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • I like the Suhr telecaster pickups I had in a strandberg. I think peach were selling them cheap (ish) last time I looked.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14474
    Alegree Texas Dust Devil bridge and Tele-format Texan Hailstorm neck. 

For maximum Strat-Tele mash-up, specify separate ground cables for the neck pickup cover and the bridge pickup baseplate.

Maximise the sound options via either a Freeway 3B3 six-way or a Schaller Megaswitch M five-way switch (circuit diagram SS3).
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    Are you using a standard Tele bridge? (Not the pickup, I mean the actual bridge.)

I'd guess you'd probably want to go with a slightly warmer Strat pickup in the neck- assuming you're using a Tele bridge that tends to make the Strat pickup a little brighter (and with a little bit of a harder edge) than it'd be in a Strat with a trem. I would guess enamel winding wire and maybe softer/sweeter magnets (alnico 2 or 3).

Probably softer magnets in the bridge pickup too- I'm not that keen on mixing magnets, but that's just me.

Bloodstones are about the cheapest UK-made Strat and Tele pickups currently- excepting sales on places like Ebay from the likes of Catswhisker, Toltec etc.. You should be able to get both pickups for under £100. I haven't tried Bloodstone's Strat or Tele pickups but their humbuckers are great and I'd be shocked if their single coils aren't too.
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    Dave_Mc said:
    Are you using a standard Tele bridge? (Not the pickup, I mean the actual bridge.)

I'd guess you'd probably want to go with a slightly warmer Strat pickup in the neck- assuming you're using a Tele bridge that tends to make the Strat pickup a little brighter (and with a little bit of a harder edge) than it'd be in a Strat with a trem. I would guess enamel winding wire and maybe softer/sweeter magnets (alnico 2 or 3).

Probably softer magnets in the bridge pickup too- I'm not that keen on mixing magnets, but that's just me.

Bloodstones are about the cheapest UK-made Strat and Tele pickups currently- excepting sales on places like Ebay from the likes of Catswhisker, Toltec etc.. You should be able to get both pickups for under £100. I haven't tried Bloodstone's Strat or Tele pickups but their humbuckers are great and I'd be shocked if their single coils aren't too.

I will be using a standard tele bridge, pics below.
    From what I've read over the last day or 2, I agree that alnico 2 or 3 is probably the way to go.
    Warm, smooth sounds are good, I play at home in the evenings only, can't deal with bright cutting treble. 
    I'll check out the pups from Alegree and Bloodstones.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7039
    tFB Trader

Nice! I had a shirt that pattern (with matching tie) in the 1970s
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    edited January 2
    Dave_Mc said:

I will be using a standard tele bridge, pics below.
    From what I've read over the last day or 2, I agree that alnico 2 or 3 is probably the way to go.
    Warm, smooth sounds are good, I play at home in the evenings only, can't deal with bright cutting treble. 
    I'll check out the pups from Alegree and Bloodstones.

Yep Alegrees are great too, just they're a little more money than the Bloodstones if you want to keep the price down. They're still great value. So are Oil Cities as @Roland said, just again a bit more money and I haven't tried their Tele pickups.

(I also probably should've said that Bloodstones are about the cheapest UK-made pickups currently that I'm aware of, just in case there's something out there that I've missed!)

The guitar looks great so far, excellent work!