El Cap v2 or...?

What's Hot
pt22pt22 Frets: 274
Happy New Year folks. 

As I’m trying to make the most out of my Boss IR-2 for kid-friendly headphone jams, I’m wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a stereo delay pedal that also has some reverbs or other neat tricks? 

I’m primarily looking for a basic stereo delay pedal, but the El Cap caught my eye because of the external spring reverb control.

What I’m not looking for is anything too complex or that 80s digital reverb thing. 

Anything else I should be considering? 

Cheers

Pete

(bonus points for any non-Boss stereo looper recommendations) 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701

HX One would do that and much more.
    Good delays and reverbs.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robmac5150robmac5150 Frets: 178
    Plethora X3?

Plethora X3?
    Good suggestion.  I have an X3 and the delays are very good.
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 274

Good delays and reverbs.
    Gosh, I've just had a little look here...it seems like it's got it all. Thanks I'll keep doing some research on it. Do you have one?
    pt22 said:

Good delays and reverbs.
    Gosh, I've just had a little look here...it seems like it's got it all. Thanks I'll keep doing some research on it. Do you have one?
    No but I've had all the effects in the HX format (Stomp and Stomp XL).  The functionality looks good as well with the flux control (something the other HX series don't have directly)

They effects are good.  I've not compared the tape delays to the El Cap however.  If I wanted nothing but great tape delay and reverb with hands on control, perhaps I'd go for the El Cap, but the HX One does a hell of a lot more for quite a bit less.

pt22 said:

Good delays and reverbs.
    No but I've had all the effects in the HX format (Stomp and Stomp XL).  The functionality looks good as well with the flux control (something the other HX series don't have directly)

They effects are good.  I've not compared the tape delays to the El Cap however.  If I wanted nothing but great tape delay and reverb with hands on control, perhaps I'd go for the El Cap, but the HX One does a hell of a lot more for quite a bit less.

Honestly the inclusion of a stereo looper is very convenient. I'm trying to find demos now. Cheers!
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
    edited January 2
    pt22 said:

Good delays and reverbs.

HX delays are indeed comparable to El Cap

El Cap has more variations however and gets way more washed out, dirty and 'lo fi'. The HX delays are definitely on the cleaner and more 'hifi' end of the spectrum that the El Capistan can accomplish. 

Just FYI, the Helix 'Cosmo Echo' is a Roland Space Echo model and covers the 'Fixed' and 'Multi' modes in the El Capistan while 'Tape Echo' is the Echoplex EP-3 model that covers the 'Single' head mode in the El Cap. 

El Cap has some things going for it - the reverb, which is awesome, the sound-on-sound mode which is really unique, and the ability to go to infinite repeats by holding the tap switch down. 

I have both a HX FX and and El Capistan on my board but could live without the El Cap if I needed to. It's nice having a dedicated pedal for something I'd throw at the end of 90% of my Helix Patched anyway. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2
    Thanks for the real-life feedback, @jellybelly. ;I’m not sure I’d do both. There’s a lot to be said for the simplicity and tangibility of the El Cap, but so long as the HX One sounds good the total number of effects and the built-in looper is hard to beat. 

Do you use a stereo looper in any of the other HX products? Is it decent? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 362
    El Capistan's looper is quite wacky and takes a bit of getting used to, but it's brilliant for weird degrading loops and can do cleaner Fripp type stuff too. The delay is brilliant and very flexible, you can get analogue and oilcan type sounds as well as fresh tape sounds that'll serve as a digital type delay. Also tape chorus, vibrato, lo fi effects. But if you just want a splash of delay and reverb and/or a basic looper, one of the Helix products might sort you out better. 
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
    pt22 said:
    Thanks for the real-life feedback, @jellybelly. ;I’m not sure I’d do both. There’s a lot to be said for the simplicity and tangibility of the El Cap, but so long as the HX One sounds good the total number of effects and the built-in looper is hard to beat. 

Do you use a stereo looper in any of the other HX products? Is it decent? 
    Looper is great on the HX stuff - all the functions carry over from previous generation (DL4 and M9) so you've got half speed, reverse etc. Don't know how they implement all that on the pedals with fewer switches like the Stomp and One, but presumably there are workarounds. 
    Thanks all. I’m leaning towards ordering an HX One tomorrow. I’ve sourced a Ditto Stereo looper on eBay for a reasonable price. Now to find a decent trs to dual mono patch cable.