SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SORTED WTB: Bass-ic bass but not complete "beginner". e.g. Classic Vibe

What's Hot
topdog91topdog91 Frets: 304
edited February 3 in Basses £
Edit: I sorted him a DI / audio interface / monitors to play through, no need for an amp.

Mate's son wants to start playing bass and I'd like them to avoid the usual Affinity / underpowered amp package deal that either he'll grow out of in 6 months or they'll have trouble selling when he gives up.

I'm thinking like a Classic Vibe Jazz for the bass and who-knows-what for the amp. I explained that at home he can use a DI / amp sim with monitors / headphones and that will sound better than a crappy amp but he may be going round to friends to play / jam, so something that can compete with drums will probably be needed.

Preferably London / SE.
Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14428
    A Yamaha RBX - like the one in your avatar photograph - would be a good choice. Tidy woodwork and easily upgradeable electronics in the longer term. For many years, the Squier VM (now CV) Jazz Bass was the no-brainer answer. A pre-owned Ibanez SR300 would be another strong candidate.

ICBM invariably recommends the Fender Rumble 25 as a home practice amp. OTOH, last November, I grabbed a Trace-Elliot GP7 7210 combo for well under £100. Lower wattage models are available.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • topdog91topdog91 Frets: 304
    A Yamaha RBX - like the one in your avatar photograph - would be a good choice. Tidy woodwork and easily upgradeable electronics in the longer term. For many years, the Squier VM (now CV) Jazz Bass was the no-brainer answer. A pre-owned Ibanez SR300 would be another strong candidate.

ICBM invariably recommends the Fender Rumble 25 as a home practice amp. OTOH, last November, I grabbed a Trace-Elliot GP7 7210 combo for well under £100. Lower wattage models are available.
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, that green bass served me well in a previous life where I was playing some bass depping for bands. I loved it. I did also say to my friend that if we can't get a Jazz (which I think would be a smart choice) or a Precision (his kid likes John Deacon), an RBX might be an option. What's the story with VMs "becoming" CVs? Is that why CV Jazzes seem to be so hard to find?

A decent solid state combo would fit the bill. The equivalent of a Peavey Bandit 112 for lead guitar would be great. Loud enough, cheap enough, reliable enough, sounds good enough. Oh a 13 year old kid will have to lift it.

If anyone knows if anything suitable, please do reach out.
    Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
  • RevMattRevMatt Frets: 835
    The 2nd dept at Rich Tone Music is my go to for most stuff, they always have a good selection of basses and normally some amps too, worth a look:

https://richtonemusic.co.uk/second-hand/bass-guitars/
    edited January 16
    Bumping this - they thought they'd found a Chinese Jazz CV 60s but snoozed and lost. Anyone got anything? Classic Vibes win, Jazzes are better still, original Chinese ones are shut up and take my money.

Edit: I sorted him a DI / audio interface / monitors to play through, so just need the bass, no amp.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14428
    A rough idea of the budget for da bass might help. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    A rough idea of the budget for da bass might help. 
    About 300 squids should do it, plus minus etc
  • Sire p5 or p7 all day
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    I have a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass I can sell if you're still looking.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • I have a SIre Marcus Miller and an Epiphone Thunderbird for sale