Replacement gold bridge for Samick 1989 Epiphone Sheraton II

VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4725
edited January 2 in Making & Modding
Hi guys, because the bridge is non-standard the only one I can find is a Kluson that's supposed to be a straight no-mods needed replacement for the original.  It does say it's for 1990's Sheratons, and mine's a 1989 - will this still be OK?

https://www.fruugo.co.uk/kluson-nashville-bridge-for-epiphone-sheraton-ii-1990s-version-gold/p-41424533-88160034

It comes with the posts but presumably I just use the originals (I have no idea how to change these anyway)?  
I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14472
    edited January 2
    My brother has an '88/89 example. Its bridge is wide with generous latitude of travel for the saddles. The height adjustment screw heads are also unusually wide. Unfortunately, it has been thirty years since I last saw the threads on the inserts.

Hopefully, the studs for the replacement bridge will directly retrofit the original inserts. Otherwise, you will have to draw the old ones out.

If the only thing wrong with the original bridge is saddle wear, it might be wiser to replace just the saddles.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7039
    tFB Trader
    Yes it looks like that bridge has been made to replace those non standard Sheraton bridges. The posts should be M8 and will fit the existing inserts.

Replacement saddles for the old bridge are not available.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72432
    edited January 2
    I’m not sure - that looks like a generic large-post (but not as large as the original) far-east T-o-M. I’m not convinced the post spacing is the same as the 80s Sheraton, which I think is also wider.

What’s the post spacing on yours?

As Funkfingers said, what’s the fault with the existing one? I may have some saddles that will fit, although not certain... I think they're from an old Aria.

Aria are still using bridges at least quite close to the 80s Epiphone one - not sure if the post spacing is identical, but it may widen the search a bit.

https://ariaguitarsglobal.com/product/pe-350pf/

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7039
    tFB Trader
    Many years ago I bought the last remaining few of the Samick bridges from (I think) WD Music. I was told at the time that production had halted because someone at the factory had literally dropped and broken the only mould.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4725
    Thanks for getting back to me guys. To be honest I'm not sure if anything is necessarily wrong.  I'm not actually experiencing any problems per se to be honest but it's old and I've seen various tech videos recommending these be upgraded to improve playability.  Or is that nonsense? 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Voxman said:
    Thanks for getting back to me guys. To be honest I'm not sure if anything is necessarily wrong.  I'm not actually experiencing any problems per se to be honest but it's old and I've seen various tech videos recommending these be upgraded to improve playability.  Or is that nonsense? 
    Nonsense. If it's not collapsing and the saddles aren't worn then there's no point changing it at all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4725
    edited January 2
    ICBM said:
    Voxman said:
    Nonsense. If it's not collapsing and the saddles aren't worn then there's no point changing it at all.
    Thanks John, in which case as the saying goes, 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'.  It's a lovely guitar, nice low action and the SD 59s sound great and its probably the nearest I'll get to a 335 without dropping £2.5k.  Just thought if it would benefit from a new bridge I'd get one but if not, there's no point. 
    Voxman said:

Thanks John, in which case as the saying goes, 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'.  It's a lovely guitar, nice low action and the SD 59s sound great and its probably the nearest I'll get to a 335 without dropping £2.5k.  Just thought if it would benefit from a new bridge I'd get one but if not, there's no point. 
    I very much doubt it, and given how much hassle it's likely to be to either find one that fits directly, or modify the guitar for a different one, I would very much try to avoid having to do so unless necessary!

Out of interest, what is the post spacing (centre to centre)? That would confirm whether anything that comes up would fit at least the body inserts.