Which Small Desktop Modeller?

What's Hot
Hi Folks,

Long story short I am recovering from life saving surgery and will be off work for sometime for my rehabilitation. 3-6 months, possibly 6-12 months. My wife was supposed to be having an operation this month, which I sold gear on here for but my body jumped in and decided it wanted one by dying........twice....... at the age of 46. Not recommended, along with a series of events that fell into place my fitness saved me. I'm learning to walk properly again and it'll be a while before I'm doing any HIIT training but at least I'm here!

Anyway I'm so bored so here's my question related to the thread category lol.

When I have the energy and to stop me going mad I want to get back to writing/recording a little in my little home setup which got taken over as a work from home office. Not quite ready yet but here I am typing out of sheer boredom as its been on my mind as something to look forward too.

To save me trying to shift amps around and bend over to reach my floor units/Pedals etc... and having small desk space. I'm looking at options for a small desktop modeller to make my life easier for writing/recording. Something that I can still eventually work from home around.

I've been looking at the Line 6 HX Stomp, Boss Gt1000 Core, Hotone Ampero Stomp 2.

Just wondered if anyone had any opinions on these or other options, feel free to add your thought, would be appreciated in helping me decide.

Thanks,

Stu 
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27235
    Jeez! Well I for one am glad you're still with us to tell the tale!!! 

I can't speak to the other options but I've had an HX Stomp for years and it's genuinely one of the best single bits of gear I've ever had. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12960
    Glad to hear you're still with us. Sending as much mojo as an Internet stranger can.

Out of the kit you list, i had a Stomp and it sounded pretty good but there was always something that niggled me about it. 

If I was buying a desktop modeller now it would probably be the GT-1000-CORE but I'd struggle to tell you why that one over the others.

Is a DAW plus plugins an option? That would expand the possibilities. 
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1850
    I'm not sure how it compares to the ones you have mentioned, by I have a NuX MG-30 and one big plus for it is the separate 2 button footswitch they bundle in with it. It is very useful when using the MG-30 on the desk as you can have the two switches on the floor assigned to FX etc. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NickBNickB Frets: 265
    edited January 2
    I have a HX Stomp and DSM Humboldt Simplifier MKii. I can categorically say that both are superb bits of kit. good luck with your recovery
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22252
    HX Stomp. It sounds great and it is ridiculously easy ot use with HX Edit. 

As much as I like some of the sounds, the GT-1000 Core user interface is shit. I have no problem programming much older Boss units. The Core is a little bit of the old way of doing things coupled with a bit of the newer way, and it forms an overall experience that was frustrating. 

• Thanks everyone, that's great some other things to have a look at today.
    Knowing my luck I'll get something then something new will come out lol

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6195
    Do you like (or rather, can you put up with menus/apps)? If not, Yamaha THR or Boss Dual Cube XL would be at the top of my suggestions list. Either can be your audio interface for recording, too = minimal hassle for your plans.

(I also like that amazing little Simplifier mentioned above - but for that you'd also need speakers and an audio interface.)

I use an iPad at home for my tiny setup, so it's no great problem to use an app to control a modeller. My minimal set up has the Nux Mighty Plug Pro as modeller and audio interface running into some iLoud speakers.

(And congrats at keeping him/her upstairs/downstairs waiting. Keep it up!)
  • Chris.BChris.B Frets: 291
    I think the small footprint of the HX Stomp along with the versatility make it an excellent choice, plus you get the rather useful HX edit included in the price, making it easy to control from a PC.

Good luck to you and your wife for a healthy future.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    I got amplitube 5 and ezdrummer 3. Amplitube 5 is ace. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NickBNickB Frets: 265
    If you don’t need fx then buy the DSM Humboldt Simplifier MKii. It’s ace. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4949
    The Yamaha THR-10 is a great desktop/workshop amp.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4172
    I loved the tones and feel of my GT-1000 Core (the amps are arguably 'better' than the HX offerings, imo) but it's unfortunately very hampered by the interface. The BOSS app makes things a bit easier, but it's still not as intuitive and easy-to-use as the HX Stomp, so if you just want something simple, effective, that won't get in the way of you actually playing & recording then I'd probably have to recommend the HX Stomp over the GT-1000.
  • motorheadmotorhead Frets: 27
    Another vote for Amplitube 5 and the Yamaha THR - mine's the THR-30II.

I let my last "real" amp, a Victory V30, go about a year ago. Gave it a couple of hours cranked up before the buyer came to collect, and it was great, but I don't miss the downsides of valve amp especially the fact that none of them give their best at home volumes.

Also, ridding the living room of that neat-ish little row of pedals won me some domestic credits.
  • PennPenn Frets: 644
    I don’t know much about this stuff but I’ve used my spark plugged into a computer to record and it works well enough. The Spark Go does a lot of different sounds with the app and you can use it as an actual little practice amp. I use it to practice with backing tracks on headphones.  It’s tiny to so easy to move about. 

Good luck with your recovery. 
  • Hey everyone,
    Sorry for the late reply, had a bad few days and then it was my birthday yesterday so no been on.

Lots to look at there. I can't go desktop amp route, I need smaller solutions like has been mentioned. I have a spark 40 but can't fit it around my work stuff without having to constantly shift stuff about which is the point as I'm not the most mobile at the mo.
    HX stomp seems to be winning as well as the DSM Humboldt mk2 which also looks interesting.
    I have Amplitube 5 but just don't like plugs in for some reason, I prefer a bit of hardware to tinker with.

I'm going go down the rabbit hole of looking at all your suggestions today, so again thanks lot. It keeps me busy lol
  • WoodandwiresWoodandwires Frets: 195
    I wouldn’t rule out the Neunaber Iconclast as a great analogue solution includes a compressor and has a better headphone sound than either of Simplifier’s I had. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8020
    I use the NUX Mighty Plug Pro. 

You can control it with the phone/Tablet app for changing amp models and pedals.  Output via headphone socket, if you can output via USBc for desktop recording (I don’t bother with that). 

Sounds great.  
  • Sounds like VSTs for your DAW are the way to go rather than a physical bit of equipment. There are quite a lot of freebie ones out there which do an okay job too, but you can still buy some if you want that 'shiny new purchase' feeling. Best thing about VSTs, not forgetting less latency too when it's right there in the DAW, is that even the payware ones invariably have a freebie demo, so most of the time you can try before you buy and find out whether it suits your requirement.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    I've played all three of those. I owned a GT1000 and it left me uninspired, nothing against Boss and I know there's a learning curve but i quickly lost interest in it. I borrowed a mates Hotone and it was back in the box within minutes, didn't like the tones from it at all.

I recently bought a Stomp, I'm using it as my bass rig and for playing the guitar through at home. I personally think it's incredible, first time I used it was with headphones and moving through the patches I had a big silly grin on my face! My buddy that uses a Quad Cortex had a go on it at rehearsals and really liked it.
  • Sorry for the late reply everyone.
    Had to take some unexpected time out for my recovery.

Thanks for all the info. I ended up getting  the Stomp and DSM as recommended. I already have amplitube which I can use for some reamping. Then as a gift in my recovery I was bought a ToneX as I got clocked looking at them!!! So I'm pretty set I would say.

Lots to play with and learn now. Mainly dialling  in tones for recording rather than just playing along to tracks etc... I may ask in the recording forums for a bit of advice at some point 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom