Pilot guitarists unite!

What's Hot

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    O O O it's Magic....
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    didn't Neil Morgan (XLR8 on the old forums)  fly these ??

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • edited February 4
    AK99 said:
    The only time I looked at a gliding club after that, it seemed to involve lots of pushing aircraft around on the ground, and waiting for long periods of time for the chance of a 5-10 minute aero-tow and glide back to earth for another couple of hours worth of 'ground ops'   

Is that still generally how you go about building up time and experience in order to obtain a gliding qualification ?

Most gliding clubs have a membership roster whereby, probably once a month, you'll be 'on duty', so you could be working the winch launch or towing out the cables with the tractors, towing gliders to the flight line or running the launch point. you might still get a flight in when doing that though. It is what keeps the cost down. People who do instructing usually do so for the benefit of getting to fly for free and get their hours up, but the down side to that for others is that some people are better instructors than others, and a few I've come across really should not be doing it since they aren't really up to the task. Teaching people stuff is a skill, and not everyone has that skill, even if they are a good pilot themselves.

Lots of people hours build by doing aerotows, since again, you get to do lots of take-offs and landings for free, and years ago you got to do it in interesting tail draggers such as the DH Chipmunk. Having said that, it does require some skill and the ability to deal with problems, because you are often dragging someone new to flying behind you, and they might not be great at staying below your flight line when on the tow. This is particularly true on the take off roll, where the glider will invariably lift off well before the tow plane, and you are supposed to keep it low to avoid fouling the rudder of the tow plane with the cable. That's why I would always trim slightly nose down in the glider when doing the cockpit checks prior to an aerotow take off, specifically to avoid the thing leaping off the ground when it gained flying speed, since it was easy to just get the stick back a bit if needed and fly at one foot off the ground until the tow plane commenced climbing, but not everyone thinks of that stuff.

As far as obtaining a gliding qualification itself is concerned, technically, you don't actually need one to fly a glider, but in practice you'd never be allowed to operate from a gliding site without one, so it is something you do need. The requirement is pretty basic; to get your first BGA/FAI enamel badge - the nice blue one with a seagull on it - and the actually paper license with your Royal Aero Club number, all you have to do is a one solo flight with a pretty basic circuit, which is observed from the ground by an instructor.

Some gliding sites want more than that however, for example, Camphill in Derbyshire, where the D&LGC is based, is one of the more tricky airfields you can operate from owing to the amount of winshear it gets and the hilly terrain, so they have an additional 'white card' you have to obtain before they will let you solo from there if you are a member. There are a few additional things you have to do to get that thing. When I did it, one of them was the following: You had to get to about 1,300 feet or so, stick the thing in a dive until you got to 1,000 feet AGL, then pull it up vertical into a stall, kick on full rudder to spin it, then make a recovery. This was supposedly to demonstrate you could do a spin recovery at low altitude off a winch tow if necessary.

How close that would be to actually doing one for real should the circumstances occur, is another matter, since all the cable breaks I've ever had were way lower than 1,000 feet AGL. This test was years ago by the way, so I dunno whether they still do that - I'm guessing not since it is a bit dodgy - but maybe they do. Funnily enough, I did it in an SZD-50-3 Puchacz, which gained the reputation of being difficult to get out of a spin following a few fatal accidents, but I never found it to be the case, I thought it was a great aeroplane and would spin it every opportunity I could get!
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
  • topdog91topdog91 Frets: 362
    We got in 0.6 hours and 4 landings before the gusts got a little too saucy and we called it a day. I quite enjoy these more challenging approaches as one day I'll have to know how to handle them anyway even if they make it harder to focus on the flare.

Talking of the flare, it seems that I'm flaring a little late and I understand why, I'm fixated on the numbers and runway position for a little too long. So need to start looking into the distance and bringing the nose to the horizon a little sooner and focusing on the runway "rising" in my peripheral vision.

Apparently. Can't wait to go again.
    Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
  • edited February 4
    Is it a grass runway or a concrete one? If it's grass, a decent trick is to look at the aim point and when you can make out actual grass details, that's your cue to look up to the end of the runway and start getting the stick back, then you just keep trying to hold it off using peripheral vision and let the speed drop until it doesn't want to fly any more. People can sometimes get a bit fixated on the aim point and flare a bit late, but so long as you don't panic and yank the stick back, it's not normally a big deal as the ground effect will tend to help you out a bit and stop you from piledriving it onto the runway even if you do flare a little on the late side.

Sounds like you've basically already got the gist of it and given the fact that it's a tad on the breezy side today, I guess you did okay.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
    Is it a grass runway or a concrete one? If it's grass, a decent trick is to look at the aim point and when you can make out actual grass details, that's your cue to look up to the end of the runway and start getting the stick back, then you just keep trying to hold it off using peripheral vision and let the speed drop until it doesn't want to fly any more. People can sometimes get a bit fixated on the aim point and flare a bit late, but so long as you don't panic and yank the stick back, it's not normally a big deal as the ground effect will tend to help you out a bit and stop you from piledriving it onto the runway even if you do flare a little on the late side.

Sounds like you've basically already got the gist of it and given the fact that it's a tad on the breezy side today, I guess you did okay.

It's concrete. I think I'm doing okay, 1.5 out of 2.5 circuit hours have been in strong wind and he said he couldn't expect any better given the conditions.

Obviously still can't wait to plonk one down nicely with no input from him, a couple have been very close.
    Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
  • greggreg66greggreg66 Frets: 505
    I finished all my ground exams today with 11/12 in both Principles of Flight and Human Performance. Annoying in both exams I had the right answer then changed my mind to the wrong one so I could have got 100% in both which I’m annoyed at myself with! 

Isn’t the weather getting really annoying though… had yet another lesson cancelled today, with another cancelled last week. Want to get stuck into working up to the QXC. Ah well! 
    I finished all my ground exams today with 11/12 in both Principles of Flight and Human Performance. Annoying in both exams I had the right answer then changed my mind to the wrong one so I could have got 100% in both which I’m annoyed at myself with! 

Isn’t the weather getting really annoying though… had yet another lesson cancelled today, with another cancelled last week. Want to get stuck into working up to the QXC. Ah well! 
    Ah well done mate, congrats! Do you get the results and wrong answers immediately? Where are you flying from?

The weather is even more dodgy when you only fly on Sundays like me... *sigh* Although my wallet thanks me...
    topdog91 said:

Ah well done mate, congrats! Do you get the results and wrong answers immediately? Where are you flying from?

The weather is even more dodgy when you only fly on Sundays like me... *sigh* Although my wallet thanks me...
    Cheers mate! Yes the results are more or less instant. You don’t get told which question was wrong, they list which area the wrong question relates to… but it’s obvious if you get stuck on one particular question etc. 

I’m learning at North Weald. Nice massive long runway with some cool jets around in the summer and the odd warbird. 

Yeah it’s always the days you can’t fly that has the best weather!
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4905
    I wanted to be an airline pilot when I left school. There wasn't much opportunity unless you could fund it yourself, which I couldn't figure out, so I tried the RAF but failed to get in. Tried BA a few years later and failed something in that process. I'm adamant I'd be great at it now, and think the failures were more about my immaturity at the time.

Now I'm mid-40s I still have the itch. I'm intending to get into paragliding soon.

It's never too late! The airline I work for have taken on quite a few guys in their 40s recently who have changed career and come to us as their first airline job.
    Not sure if you've answered this elsewhere in the thread but I've skimmed it really so apologies! How would one go about getting in a position to be hired/picked up for training? What is the best thing to do to make you stand out on application?

I looked at the BA pilot training where they pay but want to make sure my background and whatever I can do prior to applying make it look like I'm a promising hire! Thanks in advance 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

Easyjet doing something as well: https://careers.easyjet.com/en/career-areas/pilots/become-a-pilot

"Fill in your online application"; well if you can find out where, you're a better person and probably pilot than me.

(BTW, as OP, wanted to say I'm now in the circuit and close to first solo, just need to get the final flare sorted and keep my eye on airspeed all the way on final to not come in hard and fast, ooer.)
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 578
    I flew an Army Gazelle helicopter once. We had a jolly with the Reg Heli Instructor whilst I was doing med cover for the AAC on a Divisional Ex.
    I did a left and right turn but my hover became 'climbing very quickly' as I was useless.

Loads of fund as my unit was doing NBC training.....hahaha.

If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Epi LP Custom
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3780
    FastEddie said:
    I flew an Army Gazelle helicopter once. We had a jolly with the Reg Heli Instructor whilst I was doing med cover for the AAC on a Divisional Ex.
    I did a left and right turn but my hover became 'climbing very quickly' as I was useless.

Loads of fund as my unit was doing NBC training.....hahaha.

That counts as a double win!
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1144
    topdog91 said:
    Easyjet doing something as well: https://careers.easyjet.com/en/career-areas/pilots/become-a-pilot

"Fill in your online application"; well if you can find out where, you're a better person and probably pilot than me.

(BTW, as OP, wanted to say I'm now in the circuit and close to first solo, just need to get the final flare sorted and keep my eye on airspeed all the way on final to not come in hard and fast, ooer.)
    There's a big "Apply Now" button at the top on my mobile. 

I wanted to be an airline pilot as a youth, applied at BA but missed out on the interview stage. Kids and life got in the way but it's tempting to have another go. My interest is still there and I intend to get into gliding or paragliding at some point.
    topdog91 said:

There's a big "Apply Now" button at the top on my mobile. 

I wanted to be an airline pilot as a youth, applied at BA but missed out on the interview stage. Kids and life got in the way but it's tempting to have another go. My interest is still there and I intend to get into gliding or paragliding at some point.
    I was on desktop, Apply Now was on the right edge of the viewport. Clicked on it, then Pilots, then nothing about the program. Went off to some other training site linked from there, not clear that training site has been updated and... Meh
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1006
    i don't fly myself but my first ever flight in an aircraft was in a hercules when i was 11 at raf lynham (1986).

once airborne you could visit the cockpit and watch them flying and also the rear cargo bay door was opened too (it had a net to stop anyone falling out).

we flew to bristol and back if i remember but man it was an awesome day for sure.

as for my piloting skills er ms fs on xbox had more crashes when trying to land than er windows (pick any of them). 
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Fabulous! That’s exciting. The one thing that helped me with the flare is to remind myself to keep the back pressure and just keep racking it back. That’s very exciting about the solo coming up, good luck with it and enjoy it - where are you learning?

I’ve now got my QXC this Saturday hopefully. I’m at 43hrs, after the cross country flight I’ll be at minimum hours but only around 8hrs solo so need to get that to 10 and then hopefully onto mock tests. 

One other weird thing is that I have an Insta account for my flying and one of my videos of a recent dodgy landing in strong cross winds went viral with (currently) 225k views… and loads of unhelpful comments too ha!! 
  • ManWithoutSkinManWithoutSkin Frets: 134
    Boromedic said:
    I wanted to be an airline pilot when I left school. There wasn't much opportunity unless you could fund it yourself, which I couldn't figure out, so I tried the RAF but failed to get in. Tried BA a few years later and failed something in that process. I'm adamant I'd be great at it now, and think the failures were more about my immaturity at the time.

Now I'm mid-40s I still have the itch. I'm intending to get into paragliding soon.

It's never too late! The airline I work for have taken on quite a few guys in their 40s recently who have changed career and come to us as their first airline job.
    Not sure if you've answered this elsewhere in the thread but I've skimmed it really so apologies! How would one go about getting in a position to be hired/picked up for training? What is the best thing to do to make you stand out on application?

I looked at the BA pilot training where they pay but want to make sure my background and whatever I can do prior to applying make it look like I'm a promising hire! Thanks in advance 
    https://careers.ba.com/speedbird-pilot-academy-preparation

https://careers.tuigroup.com/uk/pilot-cadet-programme/

https://www.aerlingus.com/careers/careers-in-the-air/future-pilot-programme/

These are the schemes that are or have been open recently where an airline will pay for your training.

Apart from that it's self funded unfortunately, going down either a integrated or modular route.

Some airlines have relationships with flight schools that may the path in a little easier, but a job is never guaranteed.
    https://afta.ie/mentorship-ryanair/
    https://careers.wizzair.com/go/Pilot-Academy/5382601/

Any questions drop me a message. It's been a few years since I first qualified but I'm sure things haven't changed too much,
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1144
    I'm soon to turn 46 and my youthful ambitions to be a pilot are still burning away.
    I know that employers can't discriminate on age (unless there's a valid reason, e.g. modelling children's clothes) so I could be tempted to give it a go and make a career change.
    Realistically, I suspect that the recruitment process might favour younger people. Maybe not. Do we have any anecdotal information about that?
  • ManWithoutSkinManWithoutSkin Frets: 134
    I'm soon to turn 46 and my youthful ambitions to be a pilot are still burning away.
    I know that employers can't discriminate on age (unless there's a valid reason, e.g. modelling children's clothes) so I could be tempted to give it a go and make a career change.
    Realistically, I suspect that the recruitment process might favour younger people. Maybe not. Do we have any anecdotal information about that?
    I think I've written elsewhere in this thread, I work in a training department for an airline teaching people how to fly a 737.

In my training centre we do a lot of initial type ratings, so new pilots joining the company. The vast majority of the people we train are brand new pilots, so people who have never flown commercially before and are starting their career.  The vast majority of these new pilots starting with us are in their 20s and 30s. However, over the last year I've had several guys in their 40s. 

I think the biggest advantage younger people have is they generally have less commitments outside of training.  They can focus solely on training, their not distracted by kids, paying bills, their partner or life at home.  Some of the aptitude tests airlines are require to do are more suited to younger people, things like reaction times.  The other issue is as we get older and we start to face health issues, it may be harder to obtain and keep a medical.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom