Illness and hearing impairment

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28312
    Had similar only once and I stopped playing or listening to music for a while as a result. The infection meant one ear introduced a dissonant and distorted note roughly a tone away from the actual note I was hearing. It was awful and was the same with recorded music playback.

As mentioned by a few, once the illness was fully healed things returned to normal.
    I had that from a very mild cold! 

My GP prescribed me a balloon you blow up with your nose.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    Had similar only once and I stopped playing or listening to music for a while as a result. The infection meant one ear introduced a dissonant and distorted note roughly a tone away from the actual note I was hearing. It was awful and was the same with recorded music playback.

As mentioned by a few, once the illness was fully healed things returned to normal.

Yep that’s diplacusis - a very weird feeling. You can also get it with sight - monocular diplacusis. When one eye perceives two images. Strange. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UngulateUngulate Frets: 223
    The auto insufflation - blowing up a balloon with your nose will try to equalise the pressure either side of your eardrum...if you have a blocked Eustachian tube. 

Steroid nasal sprays are pissing in the wind far far weaker than high dose oral steroids - prednisolone.

BUT if you have sudden onset sensorineural hearing loss, then as stated above immediate high dose oral steroids can save you from permanent hearing loss, it's a totally different ball game form the blocked ear we have all suffered say when flying. Don't fear over the counter steroid nasal sprays.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom