Camila Batmanghelidjh

What's Hot
OffsetOffset Frets: 11700
I found this news extremely sad, especially given her age and fairly recent events which (having been initially beatified)  scandalised her - but ultimately she was redeemed in the courts.  Yes, her outfits seared my retina and yes, she did seem to court publicity in the early days but I think she was an extremely well-intentioned person who did one hell of a lot for underprivileged kids in London.  Based on absolutely nothing tangible, I have the impression that there were certain factions who for whatever reason were out to get her.

Apparently she spent her last few days "wrapping presents for vulnerable children".  RIP.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67868843
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72345
    I've always suspected - although I don't know the details or have any proof - that Kids Company was deliberately brought down, and she herself vilified, by someone powerful in government or possibly the civil service. A police investigation found no evidence to support the allegations against it at all, but by then it was too late.

RIP - no age at all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11700
    ICBM said:
    I've always suspected - although I don't know the details or have any proof - that Kids Company was deliberately brought down, and she herself vilified, by someone powerful in government or possibly the civil service. 
    Yes.  And then of course you have to ask why...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Sad to hear that someone has died but glad to read here that it was found there was no evidence of the allegations.  
    I heard about the allegations ages ago and it played right into my cynicism (even though a more rational side of me was saying, don't judge; you know nothing).
    So it's good to hear I was wrong to be cynical.  I guess someone didn't like her.
    RIP
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786

I think that a desire to help the poor and disadvantaged for no other reason than it's the decent thing to do (as opposed to a populist PR stunt) was anathema to everything the rich hold dear. 
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4162
    Wow didn’t know about her , amazing woman who made a difference. A sad loss
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24306
    I could never read her name without wondering about the 'Batman' part.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    edited January 12
    Emp_Fab said:
    I could never read her name without wondering about the 'Batman' part.
    "Butmung" I think