Accordion

I'd like to buy an accordion to play traditional Irish music. Button rather than keys.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with entry level accordions, who can make a good recommendation? Budget up to £500. Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WoodandwiresWoodandwires Frets: 195
    I was in Monmouth today and there was two accordions in a charity shop window, one had a visable label which said £90 I think.
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2107
    The Hohner Erica or Pokerwork are nice. My wife has a couple of melodeons. She started with a Delicia Popular and also has an Erica. Hers are in D/G tuning so more for English folk. They are both nice instruments. 
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 849
    In my youth I was pally with a few accordionists but have lost touch with them over the years.

Perhaps this is a start:

https://musiicz.com/best-accordion/
  • OctavioOctavio Frets: 151
    This is very useful. Thanks for the help!
  • CampbellHCampbellH Frets: 73
    It's been a long time since I played accordion. I played for over 12 years and did a lot of shows. Although it was a piano not a button box. Makes that I found to always have good quality were Hohner, Excelsior and Crucanelli. I would start at pricing Hohner and work from there if that helps.
  • OctavioOctavio Frets: 151
    Yes, Hohner appears to be a solid choice and as they’re so popular there’s some used options available. Having done some research B/C tuning seems to be the way to go for Irish traditional music. I’m definitely going with a button (21+) that is fairly lightweight. Paolo Soprani appears to be a popular premium brand. It would be a serious cash commitment but the saying “buy half price, buy twice..” comes to mind.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15563
    have a pop over to melnet (in England what you are referring to is called a melodeon, in Ireland a Button Accordion), they should be able to help you out.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.