V-IV Blues Transitions

What's Hot
Uberaba86Uberaba86 Frets: 1
edited January 6 in Technique
I’ve been listening to a lot of Robben Ford and learned how to improvise over the V chord and the IV chord in a Blues progression. Check out the video!!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10699
    Nice lick! Can I check - what do you mean by tension exactly and where do you hear it? 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4225
    edited January 7
    This may come across as being overly critical or discouraging but if you are going to present yourself as an educator, which is what you're doing on your channel, you shouldn't be chucking out things like "it's basically a mini scale within the pentatonic series" and jumbling up terms like scales, notes and arpeggios and seemingly using them interchangeably. And incorrectly using terms like tension when you're actually playing the chord tones of the chords you're playing over.

The key piece of information that you need to impart about this lick is that it's simply playing the arpeggio of the chord you're on, and it's easy to visualise because it's only adding two notes to the 9th chord shape you already know. Your commentary implies the lick is made up of different pentatonics and it isn't. 

Perhaps just be like a regular guitar player and say "hey friends, I learned this cool lick, it goes like this" without making it a lesson with confusing content. There's still much value in that. I do mean this constructively.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    The V to IV change in blues is a real harmonic speed bump.

It's not a great resolution, and rarely occurs in other styles of music.

Jazz blues and swing avoid this change by, in it's simplest form, playing 2 bars of the V chord.

This has several advantages, including preserving a V to I change (the strongest musical resolution), and also allowing the introduction of a ii V chord sub (1st rule of jazz: when there are two consecutive bars of the V chord the first bar shall be made a ii / II chord).

It's interesting once I became aware of this, how much it starts to grate when you here the V to IV change in songs that you think work better without it. eg Route 66.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    jpfamps said:

Jazz blues and swing avoid this change by, in it's simplest form, playing 2 bars of the V chord.

This has several advantages, including preserving a V to I change (the strongest musical resolution), and also allowing the introduction of a ii V chord sub (1st rule of jazz: when there are two consecutive bars of the V chord the first bar shall be made a ii / II chord).

It's interesting once I became aware of this, how much it starts to grate when you here the V to IV change in songs that you think work better without it. eg Route 66.

Many rock'n'roll numbers use 2 bars of the V. One of my pet hates is covers bands playing the V-IV change in every song, regardless of the construction of the original. 
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Keefy said:
    jpfamps said:

Many rock'n'roll numbers use 2 bars of the V. One of my pet hates is covers bands playing the V-IV change in every song, regardless of the construction of the original. 

Indeed.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9683
    Keefy said:
    jpfamps said:

Johnny B Goode being the obvious one. Bars 9 - 12 should be 5511, yet nearly everybody plays 5415 - please guys, just listen to the original.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 463
    viz said:
    Nice lick! Can I check - what do you mean by tension exactly and where do you hear it? 
    Sounded entirely diatonic to me too - not that there’s a problem with that but just not as described.  
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1347
    edited January 10
    HAL9000 said:
    Keefy said:
    jpfamps said:

Johnny B Goode being the obvious one. Bars 9 - 12 should be 5511, yet nearly everybody plays 5415 - please guys, just listen to the original.
    Yep - Chuck Berry did that a lot - staying on a chord for more than one bar when you'd expect otherwise...(Brown Eyed Handsome Man for starters)

... hey it's a 12 bar blues and they all go like that etc.. and ...they don't.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9683
    My previous band was a blues outfit, so learnt a number of variations for bars 9 and 10 such as 55, 54, 25, 65, 45, etc. There certainly seem to be bands that, @CaseOfAce points out, say Hey it’s a 12 bar - they all go like that. No, they all have their own nuances which is what makes them different.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14286
    tFB Trader

https://www.jazzguitar.be/blog/jazz-blues-chord-progressions/

some useful stuff here - I've used them at times but forget more than I remember
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 463
    Blues for Alice - all you need right there. 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4225
    Agree the V IV is waaay overused and not present in an awful lot of classic blues. 

The same goes for the quick change to the IV in bar 2. 
  • kelpbedskelpbeds Frets: 183
    edited January 14
    jpfamps said:

Well put, I mention this quite a bit in my lessons.

A blues chord progression i've always been quite fond of is the 'proper version' of Stormy Monday. There is tons of stuff going on there! i.e. this one

G7/ C9 / G7 Ab7 / G7

C9/ Dbdim / G7 Am7 / Bm7 Bbm7

Am7 / Cm7 / G7 C9 / G7 Daug

You've got an augmented Vth, you've got the IV minor thing going on, tritone sub, diminished etc... and it sounds gorgeous!

Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw