Audio clicks and splats - Windows

I changed my home pc a few months back.  It's a Lenovo tower PC, core i7, 2.1GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 11 Home edition.

When it's streaming audio - Spotify, YouTube or anywhere, I get occasional audio splats.  It also does it from Reaper and sadly also seems to record splats.  I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2nd gen.

I've tried a couple of different interfaces and Asio4All instead of the Focusrite driver.  Same result. I've tried different USB ports, unplugging everything but keyboard, mouse and interface.  Same.

Maybe I've got a duff PC and should have sent it back but by the time I spotted it I'd moved everything over from my old dying PC and registered software etc. So major ball ache.

It's running via a mains extension board with some filtering and surge protection.  Doesn't seem to be related to heating or fridge turning on and off.  I haven't tried listening to audio off the on board headphone socket, to rule out USB, but even if that's clean it doesn't me do what I want with it.   

Have I got a duff PC or has anyone got any suggestions? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• brucegillbrucegill Frets: 721
    I don’t know anything about PCs as a Mac user, but if I ever get pops and clicks, it’s generally mismatched sample rates. Maybe no help at all, but worth checking
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Yeah check sample rate of interface and set internal to 44100 for non recording stuff.

You can also use this to find general audio issues.
    https://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/DPC-Latency-Checker.shtml
    Once running you can use task manager to stop some background tasks to see if they are affecting audio streaming.
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1597
    Good thinking.  It was set to 48KHz, I've forced it to 44.1 and watched a bit of YouTube but still splatting every 30 seconds or so. 
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    8gb of ram with Windows 11 seems low.  Not sure if it is a streaming problem with not enough buffer space. 
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1597
    Might be worth adding more I guess.  Seems to be sitting at around 70% in use.